Home » Forum Home » Development

Topic: database delay - rff (request for feedback)
Replies: 5   Views: 28,888   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 17, 2013, 6:24 PM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 28,888   Pages: 1  
rainwolf

Home page
database delay - rff (request for feedback)
Posted: Nov 8, 2013, 11:22 AM

I'm thinking of creating a separate database for the database functionality of pente.org.
1) To lower the load on the overall functionality here, and,
2) I'm thinking of creating an iPad app to play with the database, but then I definitely need to separate it.

This brings with it, again for performance reasons, that games will be put in a queue and that database will not be updated in real-time but rather with a 24-48 hours delay. I personally don't see an issue with that, but I'm wondering from you (if you are an avid database user: I'm looking at you Zoeyk and Brf ), if the delay is an issue to you and why?

brf

Home page
Re: database delay - rff (request for feedback)
Posted: Nov 8, 2013, 3:31 PM

I don't see a problem with it, as long as it's still available. The minor delay before new pente.org games make it into the searchable database is negligible.

I'd be more concerned with trying to implement some of the suggestions found in some of the past forum posts (the ones where database usefulness\improvements were discussed). Sounds like this would be a really good time to maybe get some of those wishlist items into the Dbase search feature since you're proposing to recode some of it anyway?

Just make sure you have some dual location redundancy built into this system somewhere. Especially since old games will now be stored in the new database location and new games still at pente.org (prior to merging with those thousands of older games).

I see where this would decrease the server load for pente.org but will this also speed up dbase query response time?

sounds like a good idea to me overall though rainwolf.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 14, 2013, 11:02 PM

so two data bases? or your just moving the data base to another server?
and, a delay of 24 to 48 hours shouldn't be a big issue, but for example, say a player completes a game, and they want to post the game for discussion,do they need to wait 2 days to start their thread about it? is this something that you would be manually inputting? so if you went on vacation we would need to wait a few weeks to have games updated? perhaps im asking silly questions or making silly points, but that was just off the top of my head. as to the Ipad thingy, I really can't comment as Ipads are outside my scope of knowledge. Now make it for Droid,.. and I'll probably have tons to say

~z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 16, 2013, 11:07 PM

The 2nd database would be more of an "under-the-hood" change, to reduce the load on the website. Dweebo already had something similar in place already, except that I would "sync" (scheduled) the 2 databases every 24 or 48hrs, again to limit the load on the website.
Nothing manual, all automated

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 17, 2013, 6:24 PM

sounds good to me i guess. i cant think of any thing really wrong, so we will find out once its implemented.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 17, 2013, 6:24 PM

sounds good to me i guess. i cant think of any thing really wrong, so we will find out once its implemented.

Replies: 5   Views: 28,888   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]