Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: One Way by Rollie Tesh,.... or is there more than one way?
Replies: 26   Views: 116,510   Pages: 2   Last Post: Jan 3, 2022, 7:11 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 26   Views: 116,510   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
zoeyk

Home page
One Way by Rollie Tesh,.... or is there more than one way?
Posted: May 7, 2011, 11:47 PM

rollie's puzzle ONE WAY.

i was looking at it today and i noticed with in 20 minutes that there are actually 2 ways for white to force a win in 4 moves. before i show my 2 ways i'll give others a chance to figure it out. and im not actually sure what roliie's solution was since i have not checked yet. i imagine i'll need to go to scott's page to dig it up.

here is the link to view the puzzle for those who don't know.
http://pente.org/gameServer/puzzle.jsp#oneway

i'll say in the more obvious first one i saw the first move by white is K8 and ends in a double capture. i bet this was his solution since its the more straight forward one.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare

zoeyk

Home page
Re: One Way by Rollie Tesh,.... or is there more than one way?
Posted: May 8, 2011, 12:37 PM

err ok after a second look the K8 move doesn't get a double cap.. so the second one i saw was N9 instead. this was probably his answer and the only one i can see now.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
gaylen

Home page
Posted: May 9, 2011, 3:58 AM

N9?
I see an obvious way to win after a few minutes of looking at this...4 moves by p1. Well, maybe its a little tricky.

gaylen

Home page
Posted: May 9, 2011, 5:11 AM

OK. I relooked and missed something. And, I looked at N9 and see that works.
Good puzzle Rollie!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 9, 2011, 11:07 AM

dude,.. now im lookin at tom's puzzle "cross bow". and i think theres more than 2 solutions... lol whos with me here!

up2ng

Posted: May 10, 2011, 9:11 PM

I wish I could find where you were looking at the One Way puzzle and it's solution before I make my comments but I can't so I'll just go from fuzzy memory.

This thread is a testament to his puzzle making skills indeed because (I'm fairly certain) that 1. N9 is incorrect! In fact, looking at it now, I fail to see a solution starting from N9, but I think I sort of remember the answer, which is much less obvious...

gaylen

Home page
Posted: May 10, 2011, 10:09 PM

http://pente.org/gameServer/puzzle.jsp#oneway

I believe N9 is right...everyone makes 2 mistakes here.

gaylen

Home page
Posted: May 11, 2011, 3:34 AM

I mean one. Sometimes I wish I could edit my posts and save cyber-space.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 12, 2011, 12:37 AM

yes N9 works. if there is another way then do tell if you recall it. as for the cross bow puzzle, i found 2 for sure and one of them can be done in a different sequence , and then i now think i found a 3rd way but the tree is much wider and will need to be looked at. i'll show these in a video when i get time.

up2ng

Posted: May 12, 2011, 2:46 AM

You have now both linked to a page that does not show the solution. Zoey's original comment was that he is not sure what the author's solution is because he has not checked it yet. Where would you check it?

This has become even more interesting, because I have taken another look and I am now quite confident that you are both still wrong! I will see if I can remember the actual solution and post again when I think I've gotten it...

up2ng

Posted: May 12, 2011, 3:19 AM

Oh jeez, my bad. I was actually thinking of a different puzzle and then when I checked your solution I was reading the coordinates wrong, lol. Yeah, N9 looks right and it's pretty straightforward with all forcing moves. Sorry for the confusion.

up2ng

Posted: May 12, 2011, 3:37 AM

Took a look at Crossbow and I did vaguely remember going through this puzzle before as well. When it mentions that there are two solutions, I'm not sure that they are drastically different solutions -- I think it might be just two different orders that the same moves can be made.

Anyways, along those lines, I'm seeing 1. P9 followed by H9, which I believe was probably the intended solution. But, it looks like you can also play 1. H9 followed by P9 and it would still work. Kind of neat concepts illustrated by this puzzle. Did you come up with any other solutions?

gaylen

Home page
Posted: May 12, 2011, 5:24 AM

I see H9 followed by M9 as a sure move for P1 right now.

up2ng

Posted: May 12, 2011, 7:52 AM

I don't think H9 followed by M9 works since black can eventually cap to Q9 which will slow you down beyond 5 moves.

Similarly, I just realized another reason why this doesn't work, and also why my alternate solution of H9 followed by P9 does not work. Black can extend to E6 and force white to waste a move.

Which solutions are you seeing so far Zoey?

gaylen

Home page
Posted: May 12, 2011, 2:17 PM

p2 nexts extends to D5 after p1 plays M9 I suppose which p1 blocks and then needs to stop the 3 line thereby setting up for the final 2 move finish by p2...either a final capture or pente.

Replies: 26   Views: 116,510   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]