Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: Black opens that are not my first pick
Replies: 12   Views: 23,328   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 27, 2007, 9:18 AM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 12   Views: 23,328   Pages: 1  
zoeyk

Home page
Black opens that are not my first pick
Posted: Aug 14, 2007, 11:21 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare

spifster

Re: Weak Standard Opens for Black that should never be tried.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007, 6:51 PM

I've actually seen a lot of great games played out with some of these openings, especially k8 and k7. You can pull some sneaky **** with k8 if your opponent just dismisses it, and k7 isn't bad for trying to run a distraction opening. I think they probably are just weaker, but since no one studies them, some creativity as black can force white out of a pattern they're familiar with and into a tactical game.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 20, 2007, 7:22 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
spifster

Posted: Aug 20, 2007, 9:40 PM

Perhaps I wasn't clear; I mean to say that when you dismiss some openings as inferior and don't study them at all, you're leaving yourself open to a P1 loss because P2 makes something creative up and you're at a loss as to what are strong moves, since you've never studied these patterns before. What I've seen run with decent success as a K8 opening went something like this (white 1st, black first; white 2, black 2, etc.)

K10, K8; L13, H9 and then play from that point. Mmark was sneaky and almost pulled one from me with that black in the U1700 tour.

I think what I really meant to say wasn't any specific discussion of one particular opening, as that's not something I wish to do on discussion boards; I like to work those things out by myself or occasionally with Karlw. Rather, simply be aware that unless you are ready to play a completely tactical game, beware of ignoring these forms. Yes, for the most part, they are weaker because you can't run a distraction as easily with them. But a good black player coupled with a white player who isn't very careful about avoiding P2 tricks can easily sneak a win with them.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 21, 2007, 4:13 AM

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Black opens that are not my first pick
Posted: Aug 21, 2007, 4:44 AM

spifster

Posted: Aug 21, 2007, 7:32 AM

er, H10 as black 2nd. My bad

richardiii

Posted: Aug 24, 2007, 8:59 PM

I will devour K8 every time it touches the board no matter who tries it. P1’s L13 response is something I have spent a lot of time developing in my tactics. It has become my sole response, and I challenge anyone to try me with K8.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 24, 2007, 10:04 PM

karlw

Posted: Aug 24, 2007, 11:04 PM

the fact that richard has devoted the greater half of his waking life to beating K8 doesn't take anything away from K8 as a decent opening. Rich is not your average player.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 25, 2007, 7:39 AM

spifster

Posted: Aug 27, 2007, 6:41 AM

hm, i am looking at this wrong. im not trying to back out of this :P but i seem to have confused k7 and k8. because the one im talking about, the one mmark pulled on my in the u17 tour was k10, k7; L13, h10; j13, k11 as the first three moves of both sides. so i dont want to get on your bad side rich by saying oops i dont want to play this out :P but i was talking a different game before.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 27, 2007, 9:18 AM

Replies: 12   Views: 23,328   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]