Home » Forum Home » Analysis

Topic: A Strategy Tip
Replies: 6   Views: 17,865   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 19, 2006, 4:45 AM by: sjustice

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 6   Views: 17,865   Pages: 1  
sjustice

Home page
A Strategy Tip
Posted: Aug 12, 2006, 5:48 PM

One of the first things I used to do when I was learning to play Pente was to automatically extend my open threes into fours. I quickly realized this was a bad idea. An open three (xooo) is stronger than a capped four (xoooox) for several reasons. When you extend, you give your opponent an extra stone that he plays that may benefit him down the road. You also give your opponent more chances to attack your extra stones. Many times you fall victim to having your pairs attacked due to your weakened line. Plus, you lose the flexibility of playing (xooo.o) instead of (xoooo.) So, when you have an open three, only extend it when it makes sense. Sometimes it is best to extend it immediately to keep up a winning initiative or to keep your opponent from playing his best move into that spot, but almost always it is best not to prematurely extend. Stop that leak in your game, and you will get better.

Remember, someone always has the winning initiative in Pente. Any move you make that does not aid your winning position or make it more difficult for your opponent to find his winning initiative is a waste. Before you extend, ask yourself if it is serving the above purpose of winning or making it more difficult for your opponent to win. If you can't answer that question in the positive, then it is a waste to extend.

richardiii

Re: A Strategy Tip
Posted: Aug 14, 2006, 2:01 AM

I agree. unproductive extensions are a common mistake with inexperienced players.

Scott, r u gonna show up to play again? I’d really like it if you would. u and virag i have not gotten to play yet, maybe u r rusty. I can loosen u up some, hehe.

R3

sjustice

Home page
Posted: Aug 15, 2006, 6:41 AM

I indeed am rusty. I have played a few here and there, but probably will just play a little bit as time suits. Plus, I don't want to get beaten up too bad. I keep finding myself wanting to extend prematurely...

richardiii

Posted: Aug 16, 2006, 5:16 AM

now that's funny. u r listed among the best to ever play this game, and i have to agree with that assessment, as i have studied a good number of your games in the db. u make less mistakes than i do by far. so the 'get beaten up' line smells like horse doo to me. as far as extending too early, i'm sure that only happens when u get frisky with your gal at a movie.

}8¬Þ

sjustice

Home page
Posted: Aug 18, 2006, 12:42 AM

I am behind the times as far as openings and a little slow in my over-the-board game. That's a bad combination. I remember preparing for tournaments by spending hours on certain lines and keeping my opponent in new territory while I was still in my opening study. Kind of fun when you are 10 moves deep and your opponent only has about 5 minutes left to go on his clock while you have only used a minute or so of yours. That was back when I was a teen though and still had time to go to the movies.

As mentioned already, the benefit of going second is that you at least can direct the game into certain lines that you are familiar with that may make the first player confused as he plays into unfamiliar territory. One thing I used to do was prep for all openings as white by coming up with slightly inferior, but still sound, responses to black's first move. For instance, when they played R3U1 against me, I'd pop them with L2U3. If they played R1U1, I would sometimes respond with R3U2. (Gotta love that old school notation). Throwing stuff like that at an opponent over-the-board where you have fully analyzed the different lines makes it difficult for them to play back optimally against you. It also makes all the prep they did to surprise you wasted since you went off the script before they got the chance to zing you with their planned move. Of course, playing the optimal move as white is the best way to play as long as you have all the proper lines down, but that is rarely the case over-the-board.

chaosu

Home page
Posted: Aug 19, 2006, 3:20 AM

Hello SJustice, i think i solved DiabDiag puzzle and I wanted to send answer but I saw it's from 2002, it probably means that many players solved it but You did not updated Your site, am I right? Also by the way, Pente 6 means that sixth move must be winning (ending game) right? I am waiting for answer, thanks in advance.

Yours, Philip.

PS. And what means 'in first try'. If i stand up for glass of water do 'session expires'? Or I have more time, lets say until I go sleep or can i use board or i need to use my mind only?

Message was edited by: chaosu at Aug 18, 2006 9:27 PM

sjustice

Home page
Posted: Aug 19, 2006, 4:45 AM

A few people have solved it, but not many. It is true that I have not updated the site in a long time. Yes, white (the first player to move) has to get Pente in six moves or less. That gives black five moves to defend. Email me your answer and I'll let you know if you solved it. When I wrote "in first try" I think I meant that the first submitted answer from a person had to be correct for them to get credit for solving the puzzle first. I just never got around to giving credit to those who solved it. Feel free to drink some water, go to sleep or play over the board. Trying to solve it without trial and error on the board would indeed be difficult. Thanks for trying the puzzle out.

Replies: 6   Views: 17,865   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]