Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Most brilliant games of each year
Replies: 5   Views: 45,233   Pages: 1   Last Post: Aug 6, 2012, 11:29 PM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 5   Views: 45,233   Pages: 1  
zoeyk

Home page
Most brilliant games of each year
Posted: Aug 4, 2012, 11:14 AM

Most brilliant game from 2010 - Sirius. vs nosovs

hi all,
so i was just in a chat with kolia about AI, and i wanted to show him a move sequence as an example of what i think a AI is not capable of seeing. i had recorded all the games from brainking before so i had it in my personal data base.

funny thing was, when i went to look for it at brainking it was no longer there. it has for some reason been deleted. very odd. any how this was the most brilliant game of 2010 and is more than worthy of being in my all time best P2 hall of fame thread.

in this game the brilliant novelty move by Player Two,
which is the first in a sequence of well thought out moves is M8 on the 7th move.

this game is the reason why masters no longer move to L10 on the forth as Player One when facing this opening.

for the sake of preserving this very important pente history which was a turning point in master's P1 development in a particular opening, i feel compelled to post the game here.

P.s. im not saying P1's 4th loses, im just saying that after this game the elite master players immediately stopped using this 4th. either because 4th is loss, or looks like loss, or looks like to much struggle to deal with in comparison to alternative choices.

was Player One's 8th move incorrect? should Player One had extended the 4 in row early on? these would be the things to consider before saying the 4th was the error of Player One.

but to be honest, just glancing at this with out doing deep analysis it seems the 4th was in fact the error.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare

kolia

Re: Most brilliant game from 2010 - Sirius. vs nosovs
Posted: Aug 4, 2012, 3:05 PM

Thanks for posting, Zoey. I think AIs can actually yield more candidate plays rather then human players have thought of. Especially the task should be easier if it's down to only one winning play in certain position.

At first I would be very glad to see that AI can always outplay human player when AI plays the first move in the game.

Well, today it's a song of the future because I'm literally overwhelmed by other activities.

aleph_1

Re: Most brilliant game from 2010 - Sirius. vs nosovs
Posted: Aug 4, 2012, 11:06 PM

Zoey, that 2010 Sirius-Nosovs game was indeed a good one.

A few weeks after that game, Sirius tried the same line against me on Brainking, from the other side of the board, as P2. The game is #4800461, if you want to take a look. After his 7. M8, I tried 8. N7 (rather than 8. N8), and Sirius resigned on move 13.

So I think that P1's 4.L10 is fine, and that a P1 move of 8.N8 is incorrect, with 8.N7 an improvement.

Which is not to detract from nosovs' novelty on move 7. I agree it's very creative. But it's probably not enough to guarantee a win against correct play by P1.

Aleph_1

zoeyk

Home page
Most brilliant games of each year
Posted: Aug 6, 2012, 8:04 AM

Actually, there is one other game that is equally as good, and was also in 2010. so i will also post this game.

nosovs's novelty was more complex but loses in perfect play.

richardiii's line was slightly less complex (yet brilliant) and wins in perfect play, i do believe.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
theskald

Re: Most brilliant games of each year
Posted: Aug 6, 2012, 10:16 PM

Thanks for posting these games. I enjoyed seeing your commentary for the nosovs game. Can you also note for me where the novelty occurs in the richardiii game?

It would be nice to be able to mark games in the db with a brilliancy icon. Or is there another site with a database of games worthy of brilliancy prizes?

dlp

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Most brilliant games of each year
Posted: Aug 6, 2012, 11:29 PM

Richardiii's novelty was M11 on the 5th. this novelty perfectly exploits a weakness of whites 3rd move. now we know whites 3rd is sure loss.

after this happened players continued to use the 2nd of white, but using new 3rds. and one by one all other 3rds lost as well. after this occurred top players began using new second moves as white.

but know this, nosovs and I both believe that Whites second still works, its just that no players have solved whites troubles yet when using this second. i could say more but i will stop there, because i plan to explain this stuff in depth in a pente video i might be making.

~zoey

Replies: 5   Views: 45,233   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List