Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: pente.net problems...still
Replies: 19   Views: 152,585   Pages: 2   Last Post: Mar 20, 2014, 3:28 AM by: brf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 19   Views: 152,585   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
jhs55

pente.net problems...still
Posted: Dec 15, 2011, 5:22 PM

Well .net has not let me activate my waiting games, anybody else having these kind of problems ?

ukie60

Home page
Re: pente.net problems...still
Posted: Dec 15, 2011, 7:21 PM

Me too.....

painter62

Posted: Dec 15, 2011, 8:47 PM

Definitely...been fowled up for a few days now.

valleyboy

Posted: Dec 15, 2011, 11:13 PM

major...they're essentially shut down...I can activate, but anybody's last move to win redirects to an error msg...pente.org is great, but can one have too much pente???

jasonb

Home page
Posted: Dec 16, 2011, 3:55 AM

ditto

sunnyyes

Posted: Dec 18, 2011, 4:42 PM

My games came up two days last week and now are just waiting!!!!!!!!!

pente_man

Posted: Dec 20, 2011, 9:10 PM

I still get an error when I try to make the final move. The good thing about pente.net is that we can finish games after the timer has expired, as long as the opponent doesn't cancel.

valleyboy

Posted: Dec 20, 2011, 11:05 PM

yeah, well, if it's ever fixed...been hangin' out there now for quite some time...wonder if the webmaster is getting a bit embarrassed?

jettex

Posted: Dec 21, 2011, 6:58 PM

Absolutely! Cannot win and now, I cannot play, since I have a game 10 days old that must be finished.

inigo

Home page
Posted: Dec 21, 2011, 8:03 PM

I've found that whether one places the 5th stone and then "confirm", or makes 5 captures and then "confirm", or presses the surrender button, any of these will send the player to the error page, and the previous move remains un-taken, and the game permanently unfinished. This will eventually lead to a player being stuck for over 10 days, and then frozen. That's because it's his turn but he can't ever take it (except for making some wasted move). If the other player realizes the first player's predicament and "cancels," after 10 days, then the first player is freed, but the game is erased. This favors whoever was losing, since no win or loss is recorded.

This makes it pointless to play for the time being (except for partial enjoyment), since no game can be concluded.

So if you are a player who foresees that you will soon be unable to take your turn, and thus be stuck for 10 days and then frozen out, use the chat feature to let your opponent know about your impending doom ahead of time, so that the opponent will cancel that game once you've been locked out for 10 days.

I was locked out and my opponent didn't realize it. I had to invent a new pente.net identity, find and challenge that original opponent to a game, but explain in the invitation that I was really the other player who was now locked out and to please "cancel" our game so I could get back in. It worked.

pente_man

Re: pente.net problems
Posted: Dec 21, 2011, 10:20 PM

We can finish our games when the error is fixed. Hopefully players won't cancel in the meantime. It is bad form to cancel these games when you know you lost.

This reminds me of the time I was about to win a rated game here at dweebo's. I misclicked the final winning move. Then my opponent promptly placed a stone which gave him the win. I think that is bad form again.

I think we should accept the 'nature of the beast'

inigo

Home page
Posted: Dec 22, 2011, 4:32 AM

The reason for cancelling a game, in this case, is good form. It has nothing to do with selfishly avoiding losing a game. (That's not the only possible reason one would do that.)

Instead,in this case, the purpose of cancelling is to generously HELP the other guy who is locked out, not just of that one game, but of every other game he/she might be involved in. That person is locked out of playing anyone, with no way to know when or if the system will be restored (something that can't happen in pente.org, as far as I know). It is certainly not good to deliberately avoid losing a game, but it is much much worse that the other person be locked out of playing for no fault of his/her own.

pente_man

Posted: Dec 22, 2011, 8:55 PM

I will simply wait until the error is fixed and then I will play. I assume this will all be over soon.

I don't expect we can avoid the lockout if the error lasts long-term. We can't cancel games if we are locked out. It could be a lockout chain reaction throughout the site. Group dynamics are tricky here.

Cancelling some games will probably not be the means to your ends. It is not effective. Mass cancellations could let us play temporarily but I am concerned it will upset some players.

When the error is fixed, there will be another chain reaction and we will unlock each other.

We might be better off to wait to enjoy pente.net
I want to play you then

valleyboy

Posted: Dec 22, 2011, 9:03 PM

Light a candle for .net...meet me there as "sidtxval" when we're back in biz...meantime, how 'bout some turn-based here? Equally awesome site, and...it's running!

dennis1947

Posted: Dec 23, 2011, 10:39 PM

Same here pente.net wont fix it

Replies: 19   Views: 152,585   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List