Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Where is everyone?
Replies: 40   Views: 158,990   Pages: 3   Last Post: Nov 14, 2011, 9:42 PM by: jaqueline_

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 40   Views: 158,990   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
niobium

Re: Where is everyone?
Posted: Nov 6, 2011, 5:17 PM

I think the pente night is a good idea, althought it's not night in my timezone (GMT+1)

some random thoughts:

-beginners' room
I think it's not a good idea to split the number of players even further, and it discourages the players to return to the site, because they don't speak to other players, and so they have no personal involvement (I think they mostly play the comp there)

-leaderboard
change the number of players displayed to at least 10 players in each game type - most of the games have an empty leaderboard now

-statistics
how many new players are there on the site compared to last year, or the years before? how has the set based rating influenced the number of games played between two players in one session?
(I was personally against sets, but I think the real flaw is the set based rating system)

-arrange regular (e.g. yearly) tournaments

alisontate

Posted: Nov 6, 2011, 11:28 PM

Thanks niobium, some good ideas there.

If and when a new manager takes over this site, we should all make lots of suggestions like these to help. I think these and others constitute some really good ideas and observations that will help the site.

I hope to see you on the night!

alisontate

Posted: Nov 6, 2011, 11:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

Please keep your responses coming and post them to this thread to make it easier for me to collate them.

I have now created a new thread called "Weekly Pente Night" which is devoted to making announcements regarding the night. Please leave that thread for my posts to everyone regarding the event, so that I can update people easily and they can find out any details they need? The only other posts to that thread should be for people to notify everyone of arrangements for events within that such as mini-competitions, gladiator tables, posted games etc. Please keep the discussion though to this thread is possible

Thanks so much to everyone again, and keep those responses coming!

Cheers!
Alison

up2ng

Posted: Nov 7, 2011, 12:10 AM

I admit that I haven't been very active around here lately. But I don't recall the switch to set-based ratings having much impact on participation. Instead, I remember that a decision was made at some point to change the default table settings to be nonrated. For those that enjoy rated games I think that change has been a disaster (and I said this would happen when the change was first proposed). There were also some technical problems that have surfaced, such as players being booted out of the lobby (often in the middle of a game) and being locked out for over 20 minutes. Many excellent rated sets were just lost because of these sorts of bugs and players will only put up with the bugginess for so long.

Unfortunately these bugs cropped up during a time while the site ownership has been in flux. Basically, there is no one available to respond to technical problems and the transition to new ownership has lasted longer than expected. My hope is that the transfer will happen soon and that the new owners will get themselves up to speed on the code quickly (a difficult task in itself) and then begin maintaining the site and responding to technical complaints asap. If we can all keep checking back in, hopefully things will improve at some point and participation will increase.

m_r_r

Posted: Nov 7, 2011, 1:54 AM

I can make it on any weekday during the evening just let me know which one ya'll pick

piecraft

Posted: Nov 8, 2011, 6:11 AM

Great initiative Alison! I will be overseas then, but if I have time I will log in.

piecraft

Posted: Nov 8, 2011, 6:16 AM

Hey up2ng, I just noticed your post. I was all set to take over but then run into a bit of a health issue mate. I still want to do it but this year is a non-starter. Looking at Jan or Feb if dweebo is still keen.

jhs55

Posted: Nov 9, 2011, 3:06 PM

great way to get some playing going again around here, I will make it on wednesdays...
it will be intresting to see some new players as well as you older players, we can get in a bunch of good games before the reality of TUENBASE and how much time to invest in one sitting.
If y'all remember in the begining about half the concern centered on some players not playing 2 games in a rated set, this now seems a small issue compared to no body playing here at all, I call it the ": cricket room " and its loud too.
To whom it my concern: is this site being sold, if so, for how much ?

alisontate

Posted: Nov 10, 2011, 3:52 AM

Hi Everyone,

Please keep those RSVPs coming!

Dont forget

4pm - Midnight NY time Wednesday 16th November!

Have a great day!

mycroft

Posted: Nov 13, 2011, 9:11 PM

Thanks for the email reminding me about the site. My old ID "grod71" was gone, but I have a new one. Best, Gerry

jaqueline_

Posted: Nov 14, 2011, 9:42 PM

Alison, this is a super idea. I will make every attempt to be here Wednesday night...I hope my c6 playmates show up as well...

Replies: 40   Views: 158,990   Pages: 3   [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Back to Topic List