Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: leaderboard
Replies: 94   Views: 265,331   Pages: 7   Last Post: Dec 1, 2008, 3:15 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 94   Views: 265,331   Pages: 7   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
dweebo

Home page
leaderboard
Posted: Aug 26, 2008, 7:08 PM

So if you login to pente.org today you might notice the shiny new leaderboard on the right side of the main page.

I plan to eventually allow you to look at the leader board for each game but right now its just Pente.

Just like the current player rankings, you have to have played a game in the past 30 days to be on the leaderboard.

I'm thinking of changing that to be 7 days, in order to encourage more players to try to get on the leaderboard and have more changes to the leaderboard.

What do you think?
-dweebo

Pente Rocks!

zoeyk

Home page
Re: leaderboard
Posted: Aug 27, 2008, 12:59 AM

love it
~Z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
watsu

Home page
Posted: Sep 11, 2008, 4:37 PM

Great feature. A month is too long except in the case of turn based. Even 2 weeks would be an improvement, but I think 1 week would be okay. Anyone who wants to stay in the limelight should be willing to commit to a live rated set per week, I think.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 11, 2008, 5:31 PM

no,... i disagree,......

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
redsky_iv

Home page
Posted: Sep 11, 2008, 5:49 PM

I agree with watsu on the weekly

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 11, 2008, 9:37 PM

....i like the picture of your dog there red.

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Sep 11, 2008 4:02 PM

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Sep 11, 2008, 9:45 PM

why don't u agree zoey?

to stay active and on the leaderboard it doesn't seem like too big a requirement that you play one game a week.

besides, if you fall off the leaderboard because you don't play for a week or two (or a year), all you have to do to get back on the leaderboard is to play one game.

its not like it is a ladder system or anything where if you don't keep playing your rating continues to drop.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 11, 2008, 10:02 PM

the majority seems to be voting for a week, so i withdrawal my argument due to it being a moot point as to my reasoning.
if in the event that others vote for it to stay a month then i may comment further.
but ill say that nosovs richard melanie and karlw for examples dont play rated weekly.
nor do I. and actually after looking i dont think any of the current leaders play rated weekly,..maybe jayfrejole does, but im not sure. ive been trying to get a set with him for about 3 months now i think,..mmm but thats a another story..

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Sep 11, 2008 4:22 PM

mersenne

Posted: Sep 11, 2008, 10:30 PM

Rated sets are rather hard to come by.

Also, variations like boat and keryo (regular - ignoring speed and turn-based) already have only a handful of people on the leaderboard. D-Pente doesn't have anyone. Making it 7 days would essentially delete these leaderboards altogether.

karlw

Posted: Sep 12, 2008, 12:49 AM

well the only leaderboard ever on the main page is the regular pente leaderboard. I don't mind it being a week, as long as people play me.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
mersenne

Posted: Sep 12, 2008, 1:00 AM

There's a drop down list of all the games; whichever one you switch to will still be there the next time.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Sep 12, 2008, 1:17 AM

well,.. what happens when the other reds dont play you weekly?

have a feeling there will be yellows in first place during the weeks that reds dont get thier sets in,..
which will be misleading in my opinion. new commers will see that the worlds top player is 1850 or something,..lol

partica

Posted: Sep 12, 2008, 1:46 AM

Maybe it could be named Active Player Leaderboard. haha or some kind of indicator that it pertains to the highest rated players that played that week. Maybe there could be a help topic that explains the purpose and how it functions. Who knows? Such a dilemma, wonder how it will play out, the suspense is killing me!

I think the feature is cool no matter how it plays out. Thanks for all the hard work, Peter.

Pente Rocks!

(p.s. Did you know that pente doesn't pass the Spell Check function on these?)
~partica

redsky_iv

Home page
Posted: Sep 12, 2008, 2:13 AM

Obi thanks you for the compliment Z .....Now if only i could get him to stop playing 'Interior Decorator' while I'm at work. Ugh. Maybe someone out there knows of a use for a chewed-up remote control that I know nothing about thus far??

As far as the leaderboard goes, P has the right idea methinks in terms of qualifying the title (i.e. 'active leaderboard'), and I think the intention of the leaderboard in the 1st place was to encourage more play, yes? I feel that reducing the timeline to a week or every 20 minutes or so will do just that.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Sep 12, 2008, 2:45 AM

thanks everyone for putting in their opinions!

i had started a long post on this while at work earlier but ended up not posting it.

there are a couple of reasons i put up the leaderboard.
1. its awesome
2. its awesome to be ON the leaderboard and those players who are on it should be recognized.
3. i hope that it encourages people to play games. mainly players who are not on the leaderboard since hopefully some of them will WANT to be on the leaderboard.
4. it shows new players that the site is active, we need to attract and keep more new players.

mainly my work on the site lately has focused on making the site more attractive to new players, to try and grow the site. lots more ideas i'm working on but not sure when/if those will be put into place.

i think one thing i DON'T want to see happen is for the players on the leaderboard to not change often, or for it to cause those top players to protect their ratings even more!

there are other things i would like to add to recognize other players not based on ratings since the leaderboard isn't for everyone.

-dweebo

Pente Rocks!
Replies: 94   Views: 265,331   Pages: 7   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Back to Topic List