Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Brf's St Patricks Day Tournament at Brainking
Replies: 80   Views: 385,362   Pages: 6   Last Post: Mar 13, 2018, 12:26 AM by: brf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 80   Views: 385,362   Pages: 6   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
karlw

Re: Brf's St Patricks Day Tournament at Brainking - 2008!
Posted: Apr 16, 2008, 8:51 PM

rich, your post reveals one of the many failings of the brainking system, specifically the restriction on non-paying members that disallows them from playing in more than one tournament at any given time (even if they have already lost and the round isn't over). Combine that with the fact that Fencer loves to ban alts, and you've got a serious problem, namely that players who don't want to shell out for a subscription to a third-rate gaming site are forced to play incognito. Your "Mastema" issue is only one instance of this.

It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.
richardiii

Posted: Apr 16, 2008, 9:48 PM

I see your point. Then a player using a new alt in a tournament should, out of courtesy, warn his opponent on the opening move that he/she is actually someone else. Unless that will make fencer boot the name. In which case.. someone should send me a suitcase full of one hundred dollar bills.

Yes i like that solution very much.

brf

Home page
Posted: Apr 22, 2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah it's one of my peeves with allowing unrated people in, seems like I'm always getting put with them and they're not novices either . The thing is though many people just won't pay for membership at BK so multiple accounts must be created just so the individual can enter themselves in more than one tournament. I don't see this changing really either so it's probably still going to be a problem next year.

Maybe we should just identify all the unrated completed "0" games in a tournament early on in the discussion board flushing them out?

brf

Home page
Re: Brf's St Patricks Day Tournament at Brainking - 2009!
Posted: Mar 9, 2009, 10:27 PM

Here's the link St Patty's 2009!

I'm sorry for the short notice since there are only 8 more days until March 17, but snowboarding has fully claimed me these last couple of months and I barely got this out in time

For those interested, I'm only letting the first 64 people in this tournament since the next jump is 128 for single elimination. Basically Zoey and I had a discussion during last years tourney that gave me the idea to try single elimination (2 wins match) for this year. And so it is!

If you play pente at Brainking as well as pente.org please consider signing up! Here are the details:

Keeping with tradition I've got another St Patrick's Day Tournament out there but I'm changing things up a bit this time.

Only 64 people will be allowed into this years tournament since it's Single Elimination with a '2 wins to advance' match format. The Single Elimination is an experiment to make things more head to head and skill centric, hopefully taking away the random advantage a player can sometimes get over another in a section. (for example: where a player times out in just one game and gives an advantage to one of two other equal players.)

I'm keeping the same time limits as last years (2 days per move with vacation allowed) since that seemed to work rather well. Cash prizes are kind of a pain for Fencer to deal with so I've decided to set the prize as one year Brain Rook (approximately 50$ US value).

So you have to ask yourself, do you feel you have the pente luck of the Irish? well sign up and see how far you can make it through the grid! On St. Patricks Day (March 17, 2009) the tourney begins! Good luck to all players, I look forward to playing you across the board!

PAST TOURNAMENT RESULTS!

St Patty's 2008 WINNERS: Richard III, Nosovs
St Patty's 2007 WINNER: Brf!

Message was edited by: brf at Mar 9, 2009 5:28 PM

brf

Home page
Posted: Mar 13, 2009, 4:26 PM

For those that still haven't signed up, there's only 18 slots left and 4 days to go before St Patty's 2009 starts!

kolia

Posted: Mar 14, 2009, 9:01 AM

Hi, I don't like the idea of single elimination in not balanced game. I'm almost sure that there is sure win for player one (white can win every game no matter what black is doing) like in gomoku. There are few people which can win every game by white if they have enough time to think, like Nosovs, Richard III, Lanser or S3v3n. In my opinion there is very big probability that this tourney would be won by seed no. 1 and other players don't have the same chance to win because in match (best of 3) only one person can play by white first game.

Single elimination tourney make sense in that kind of games when in match you have to win 2 more games then your opponent (for example 4-2 or 5-3), win your own game by white and break in another in the same set to advance. Same like it's here in tourney. But I understand that this type of playing would be very hard in turn based games.

~K (fayn)

brf

Home page
Posted: Mar 14, 2009, 9:50 PM

I understand your concern, I myself want to see how this plays out to see whether or not the format has merit, has more or less flaws than the standard section type of play I've done in the past. my understanding is that the third game is randomized so it should be a fair shot for either player.

not to mention I've no issues with going second, the P2 lines I've been seeing over the past few months are amazing. I'm not sold on P1 winning every time, I think that's a myth people repeat. Though I'll grant winning as P2 against your example of Nosovs or say Rich would be one hell of an accomplishment, I sure haven't done it yet regardless, it's all in fun...at least for me.

Though, I'll definitely be listening to peoples feedback and will decide whether or not I'll do this type of tourney format again in future based on how it all plays out here in 2009...and what peoples opinions about it are. Thanks for chiming in though Fayn, I appreciate the feedback. -Brf

brf

Home page
Posted: Mar 16, 2009, 11:22 PM

There's still time but there are only 9 slots left! if the remaining 9 sign up then the tourney will begin on time tomorrow around 3pm PST. -Brf

brf

Home page
Posted: Feb 19, 2010, 7:55 PM

It's that time of year again. For those of you who like turn based tourney's I've got another one set up at brainking. Here's the direct link Brf's 4th Annual St Patricks Day Pente Tourney

After the fiasco with last years "single elimination" tourney format, I've decided to go back to straight sets in the old section based format (which should please alot of you ).

This is a prize tournament with 1 year Brain Rook awarded to the winner (~$50 US value). The section size has been set at 7 people per section with time limits set at 2 days per move with vacation allowed.....anything more and the tourney won't finish before the 2011 St's Patty's tourney.

Please consider signing up and see how far you can make it through the rounds against some of the best players of the game, on St. Patrick's Day (March 17, 2010) the tourney begins!

My thanks to all of you who continue to sign up for this tournament every year. Good luck to all players, I look forward to playing you across the board!

brf

Home page
Posted: Mar 16, 2010, 4:16 PM

Last day to sign up for tomorrow's St Pat's Tournament at Brainking! 2010 - 4th Annual St Pat's Pente Tourney

50 people are currently signed up I'd love to get some more folks entered into the tournament. So if you're up for some heated pente playing against some of the best players out there you have 24 hours to sign up!

Good Luck to all players, and I look forward to playing you across the board. -Brf

Message was edited by: brf at Mar 16, 2010 4:56 PM

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Mar 17, 2010, 1:31 AM

ok i signed up,.. hope i don't time out like usual lol.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
brf

Home page
Posted: Mar 17, 2010, 4:51 PM

Cool. I've tried to get Rich in but I think he's burnt out a bit. can't blame the guy we all get there at some point. Jay is having computer issues and already told me he wouldn't be able to swing it this time. Other than that I got a pretty good response from all the top players. A few stragglers keep signing up right up to the finish too.

we're up to 56 entrants as of right now and there is still 3 hours left until the tourney starts.... for any last minute folks here that are on the fence.

So go ahead and sign up what are you waiting for!

here's the link one last time! 2010 - 4th Annual St Pat's 'Te Tourney

brf

Home page
Re: Brf's St Patricks Day Tournament at Brainking - 2011!
Posted: Feb 14, 2011, 7:29 PM

For those of you that follow this DSG thread and also play at Brainking I've continued the tradition and started the signups for the 5th Annual St Pat's Pente Tourney at Brainking. Here's the link! St Pat's 2011!

This years format is based 5 years of experience with this and I believe it to be our best settings yet. There are 7 players sections, 2 day move limits with vacation allowed. Final Match type for two players (if it actually came down to 2 in a final round) is 10 wins match. Though Karlw and Novatis actually agreed to slug it out here at DSG to determine the winner last year...and it was ruled a tie.

It is a Prize tournament with 1 year brain rook membership being awarded to the winner. Sign up soon! The tournament starts in just over a month on March 17, 2011

PAST TOURNAMENT RESULTS!

St Patty's 2010 WINNERS: Karlw, Novatis
St Patty's 2009 WINNER: Nosovs
St Patty's 2008 WINNERS: Richard III, Nosovs
St Patty's 2007 WINNER: Brf!

happyj0

Posted: Feb 20, 2011, 2:54 AM

I'll tell you what I want to see.

I want to see the turn-based brigade here to sign up at BK and play.

I want to see those players here who think they are superstars to put up or shut up, and play.

I want to see cool people who also know a thing or two about the game to sign up and play. Ukie that means you, but not only you....

I want to see people who know they have no chance of winning to play, for the sake of playing challenging Pente of a sort they might likely never be able to play again. Losing is acceptable, albeit painful, if you learn something....

Above all, approach the game to have fun...if you do you are already a winner....

P.S. Honk if you like ukie's.........

http://brainking.com/en/Tournaments?trg=39476&tri=650636&trnst=0

illusion

Posted: Feb 20, 2011, 10:11 AM

march 17th, hmm thinking of the prep time.
and final round is a 10 win match? thats crazy. could go over a year if tied sets and both players use full timer.

Replies: 80   Views: 385,362   Pages: 6   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]