Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Brf's St Patricks Day Tournament at Brainking
Replies: 80   Views: 385,298   Pages: 6   Last Post: Mar 13, 2018, 12:26 AM by: brf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 80   Views: 385,298   Pages: 6   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
brf

Home page
Brf's St Patricks Day Tournament at Brainking - 2008!
Posted: Feb 22, 2008, 3:29 PM

Well my 2007 St. Patricks Day Pente tournament just ended and the results can be viewed here St. Patty's 2007

Since I ended up getting to keep the $50 US prize money that I originally put up, I just told Fencer to hold onto it and use it as the prize money in the 2008 tournament! So Folks, you have Until March 17 2008 to sign up for this years Brf's St. Patty's 2008 Tourney!

The time limits have been reduced from 3 days to 2 days per move this time! If you have a Brainking account I encourage you to sign up for the tournament, this last one was alot of fun. If you don't have one, it's free for 20 games so go ahead and get yourself an account set up for this next tournament! I hope you all feel the luck of Irish and I look forward to playing everyone across the board and Good Luck! -Brf

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Brf's St Patricks Day Tournament at Brainking - 2008!
Posted: Feb 22, 2008, 6:11 PM

im in,..

~zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
brf

Home page
Re: Brf's St Patricks Day Tournament at Brainking
Posted: Mar 4, 2008, 1:33 AM

Currently we have 43 players signed up for the 2008 Tournament! Last years had 76 people signed up for it by the Start deadline and I'd love to surpass that number this year if at all possible.

There are only 14 more days left to sign up for those of you that may still be interested or are just on the fence.

Here's that famous link everyone's just dying to click on! so what are you waiting for? go ahead, make the leap! Brf's St. Patty's Day Tourney 2008

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Mar 4, 2008, 11:47 PM

i just noticed that spavacz and me are unrated on that site, but for some reason he has been placed as 12th and i have been placed as 38th. on pente.org spavacz is 1940 and i am 1901. surly i am ranked higher than the player DamnCat who is rated at 1188, or higher than Indriel who is rated at 1218. or perhaps the order of names is the order they signed up. but it would appier that players are lined up by score so i boubt it. thanks

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
nodnarbo

Posted: Mar 4, 2008, 11:55 PM

even though you are unrated you still have number assigned to your rating, it just isn't shown until you play 4 games. Anyone who has completed any games has a number that is. anyone who has not completed any games is at the bottom, which I believe is what is happening in your case, if you win any games before the tournament starts you will move up

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Mar 5, 2008, 10:14 AM

ohhh i see. ok that makes sence. yea i didnt see a provisional rating on him. shows im not to familiar with B.K. lol. thanks

~zoeyk

brf

Home page
Posted: Mar 5, 2008, 7:14 PM

yeah nodnarbo is right, the provisional rating system at Brainking is a bit confusing but that's my understanding of how it works also. Further, I would mention that when the seeding begins for the sections the highest ranked player gets placed in section 1, the next highest in Section 2 etc. all the way down to the final section of 6 players...then the next round of highest ranked players in decreasing order get placed into section 1 on down again. This goes on until all the players entered in the tourney are assigned to a section so as to evenly spread the ranked players amongst each other.

The only thing to watch out for is the unrated players they get seeded at the bottom and many times as you've pointed out Zoey they are actually much higher in rating though BK does not know that yet. It's a great way for an unrated player to get on the board though, and the top rated player in the section will need to be careful playing an unrated player as that unrated player may be much better than novice.

It'll be a fun tournament though. As of right now the tournament has a really good representation of Brainkings best players, I've had a good turnout from the top 100. we're at 54 people signed up as of right now. There's only 12 days left though! sign up if you haven't done so already!

-Brf

brf

Home page
Posted: Mar 10, 2008, 5:56 PM

70 people are now signed up and there's only 7 days left to get in before the tournament starts! As of right now, the tourney really has a large showing of the best players currently playing at Brainking so I think it has the potential of really being a good tournament. Please add yourself to the roster if you haven't done so already! -Brf

brf

Home page
Posted: Mar 17, 2008, 6:41 AM

91 people are now signed up and only 1 hour left!! until The 2008 Tournament begins. Please try and sign up if you haven't got around to it the timer is ticking! I'll continue to post updates to this thread as the tourney progresses as well. I extend my thanks to everyone who has already entered the tourney and wish good luck to all players!

The link one last time is Brf's St. Patty's Day Tourney 2008 Sign up now!

-Brf

Message was edited by: brf at Mar 17, 2008 4:43 PM

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Apr 6, 2008, 10:33 AM

There are many poland players as ussial but some of them change userids.
Do you know other userids or name of
blaxx
spavacz
Seems they will play at round two.

brf

Home page
Posted: Apr 6, 2008, 9:05 PM

I didn't know who they were either but I figured Aaru probably would so I asked him and this is what he sent me Nosovs.

Blaxx vel dein vel Kacper - Kacper Klepacki
Spavacz - Krzysztof Gaweł - good young Polish player

-> http://www.pente.org/gameServer/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=3280&messageID=13718#13718 pls look on our last tournament

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Apr 7, 2008, 4:24 PM

Thanks , so blaxx = dein

spavacz

Posted: Apr 7, 2008, 6:39 PM

Nosovs, maybe I'll disappoint you but I don't have any more nicks. One exception is on kurnik, but you don't play here.

nosovs

Home page
Posted: Apr 8, 2008, 9:46 AM

I just want to know who is who, because last tournament I had played zemlyak not seriousely.
I can not play strong with all players, just sometimes half strength.

richardiii

Posted: Apr 16, 2008, 5:21 AM

Alex has a point. I don't mind facing alt-names, but sometimes, especially in a tournament, an alt can lull a player into playing an opening that works great vs a lower ranked player, but will fail almost all the time vs a top rated player.

I will face off with a new name and a low rating thinking that I am facing someone newer to the game. So I tend to open with proven openings that always work well vs a lower ranked player. When I face a proven player I tend to play something that is more able to confuse and be more tricky. If that seeming lower ranked player is in reality a top player, then I am doomed to be beaten by assuming wrong about that player.

This happened to me in a recent tournament where I was paired in the 1st round with a (at that time)“low” ranked player named Mastema at brainking, and I opened with openings that would easily win vs newer players. It turns out that Mastema is Utratos, perhaps the best Polish player in the game to date. If I had known whom I was playing, I would have opened very differently. I lost both games.

Now I am not really complaining, cause such a thing doesn’t really matter in the bigger picture, but it should be more proper for a player to not use such trickery to lull a top-level player.

Replies: 80   Views: 385,298   Pages: 6   [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]