Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente.org Planned Updates
Replies: 18   Views: 27,338   Pages: 2   Last Post: Dec 19, 2022, 1:08 AM by: gasket

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 18   Views: 27,338   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
zachburau

Pente.org Planned Updates
Posted: Dec 3, 2022, 6:32 AM

Hey!

You guys have probably noticed things have been somewhat silent from my end, as you know I also own Gomoku.com and until now a lot of my focus has been dedicated to that and getting it off the ground. Finally, we have some steady users on Gomoku and the initial buildout is complete. Some of you know but world champion Gomoku player Zoltan Laszlo is on the team and has been a great help.

With Gomoku.com up and running on its own, I will be shifting my focus back to Pente.org and improving the site. We have a list of the features initially requested when I purchased the site back in June but I wanted to open things up here and see if anyone had feature suggestions to discuss.

Also, let me know when anyone is available for a game, would love to play with you guys!!

Message was edited by: zachburau at Dec 3, 2022, 6:33 AM

watsu

Home page
Re: Pente.org Planned Updates
Posted: Dec 3, 2022, 6:31 PM

First off, congrats to you and Zoltan for attracting a high level talent pool to such a new site! I suspect my Elo there would end up being around 900 there, with enough gomoku play time against different players. I think the todo list was pretty complete from my perspective, though I have to say I'm a fan of boardgamearena's options/variants toggling for combining different things (like boat + poof + overlines allowed but don't win, for example). Might be too much coding effort for the value added, IDK.

I hope we'll get some crossover between the two sites!

ETA: BGA is likely able to do the different combinations options easily by only having a single overarching Pente rating for all games. Not really worth the tradeoff.

Message was edited by: watsu at Dec 3, 2022, 7:38 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
invictus

Posted: Dec 3, 2022, 6:57 PM

congrats on the gomoku progress!
i have already submitted my wishlist but since i have the opportunity...
i would really like the ability to review sent messages.
sometimes i say things that i later need to apologize for and it's hard to keep track,lol

Message was edited by: invictus at Dec 4, 2022, 3:21 PM

bloodied but unbowed
secshun8

Home page
Posted: Dec 5, 2022, 3:29 AM

Nice to meet you, Zach.

Perhaps you will also purchase pente.net and get it up and running again. It would be a solid addition to your business.

This site is enjoyable and pleasant. I would only note that it seems odd that a player can lose points in a tie/draw situation. It is not a motivating factor to play rated games.

Good luck to you on your game endeavors.

Literature and Philosophy instructor. Cop watcher. Treasure hunter. Writer. Constitutionalist.
mikaelh

Posted: Dec 5, 2022, 5:28 AM

Thanks for a great site!
I would love if we could play swap 2 Keryo here as well.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Dec 5, 2022, 10:21 AM

I believe that this forum thread is the primary place where previous suggestions were added, so that people are aware of the things that may already be on the roadmap.

One suggestion is: no penalty for draws in live rated games, but TB games may or may not keep that penalty; the community is at least somewhat divided on the TB draw penalty issue.

Another previous suggestion is the swap2 option for all connect 5 games (Pente and variants + gomoku).

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
watsu

Home page
Posted: Dec 5, 2022, 12:17 PM

Puzzle functionality where people trying to solve them can push stones around directly on a puzzle board until they have a solution. For an example of what I mean, see this renju.net forum thread (tough puzzle!). This isn't a high priority, but I think it'd make for a cool addition if it's not too hard to add and might get more people interested in solving Pente puzzles.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Dec 7, 2022, 4:05 PM

I just took a quick look at the create tournament page at gomoku.com and am excited to see how easy it appears to be to create tournaments there. Looking forward to seeing how that works with Pente tourneys!

zachburau

Posted: Dec 8, 2022, 9:49 PM

Yes! Planning to add this tournament functionality from Gomoku to Pente.org ASAP

Message was edited by: zachburau at Dec 8, 2022, 9:52 PM

zachburau

Posted: Dec 8, 2022, 9:53 PM

Hey! Nice to meet you! Do you happen to know the owner?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Dec 8, 2022, 11:30 PM

Hey Zach,
I just noticed that apparently I'm no longer getting emails on updates to my watched forum topics. Is that an intentional change, or something which happened as a byproduct of something else? I still seem to get emails on messages from some people, but not from others. I don't know about others here, but I did find the email notes on updated topics handy.

owen_

Posted: Dec 9, 2022, 11:39 AM

Quite funny that I get the information about gomoku.com not from Zoli, his FB, not from Gomoku community but from Pente community =)

I have a couple feature requests.
You know, gomoku is being played on the 15x15 board. Pente.org uses 19x19, it gives some flavour and is OK IMO. But having no opening rule is terrible. Gomoku needs swap2.

Try introducing Pente swap2, it should be nice balancing. No first player advantage at all.

Also I'd give a try to Pente with 5 swaps. It's described here: https://www.renju.net/rule/4/
Feel free to ask for details if needed.

> it seems odd that a player can lose points in a tie/draw situation

That's how ratings work. If one player has higher rating than another, then draw between them should bring their ratings closer since they are likely to have equal playing strength. The gap between them should become smaller. Otherwise that's not ELO =)

zachburau

Posted: Dec 9, 2022, 9:49 PM

Supper odd, thank you for bringing this to my attention Watsu, I will take a look today and get back to you ASAP when it's resolved.

secshun8

Home page
Posted: Dec 12, 2022, 8:12 PM

Adding tournaments and other variations sounds great. I propose a version called anti-pente in which the player tries to lose 5 pairs and not make any lines of five. Similar to suicide checkers or anti checkers. Would likely require a smaller board but might be an interesting addition

Literature and Philosophy instructor. Cop watcher. Treasure hunter. Writer. Constitutionalist.
watsu

Home page
Posted: Dec 12, 2022, 11:36 PM

We used to play anti Pente here back in the early 2000s (informally, by agreement). An 11x11 board worked well, assuming a central first stone is required. It's a bit tedious until the end game. There are some accidental entries of it into the database, but I don't recall which players I played it with. Given enough free time, I might be able to dig one up.

Replies: 18   Views: 27,338   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]