Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Keryo Pente Name
Replies: 3   Views: 26,338   Pages: 1   Last Post: Feb 18, 2021, 3:44 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 3   Views: 26,338   Pages: 1  
t0afer

Keryo Pente Name
Posted: Feb 12, 2021, 9:00 PM

Why is Keryo Pente called Keryo Pente? What does Keryo mean? Is it greek as well?

I found one thing in japanese that I think means manor and then there's Karyo- in greek which comes from Keryon which mean "nut." It's used as a prefix for nucleus.

watsu

Home page
Re: Keryo Pente Name
Posted: Feb 17, 2021, 12:39 AM

Just a guess, but my guess is the Greek derivation is correct. Rollie named his toughest puzzle Quincunx from the latin word and then all the tria, tessera etc. shoutouts to Greek.
ETA:
https://www.etymonline.com/word/karyo-
I'm betting on "hard" Pente as the intended meaning. Maybe the a was changed to an e to fit in better with Pente? IDK.

Message was edited by: watsu at Feb 17, 2021, 12:46 AM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
t0afer

Posted: Feb 18, 2021, 2:37 PM

I can't recall if there was a pente newletter on the introduction of keryo pente as a suggested balancing mechanism.

There was a lot of info on it in an interview he gave to Tom Braunlich, but that was more general and not about how he invented it or where the name came from.

Interestingly Rollie Tesh seemed to think the Keryo Pente would be superior to Renju restrictions on the second player as a balancing mechanism.

I guess his thinking was that it would continue the natural balancing pente has in the form of capture.

Free Pente is much more balanced than Free Gomoku, however the data here, while not the greatest sample size, doesn't seem to show much difference.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 18, 2021, 3:44 PM

I think there may be at least a few references to Keryo in newsletters we don't currently have online; the Spring '84 newsletter with the Tesh interview and Keryo as a tournament alternative proposal is the main newsletter I've seen references to it in, but references to keryo in earlier newsletters are mentioned. Since renju without swaps was proven as a win in IIRC 17 moves and considered to be one well before the proof I think Rollie was correct. Tom Braunlich would probably be the guy to ask about the name if we can't get access to all the newsletters.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 3   Views: 26,338   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]