Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: What happened to US Pente Association?
Replies: 19   Views: 66,763   Pages: 2   Last Post: Feb 10, 2021, 3:20 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 19   Views: 66,763   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
watsu

Home page
Re: What happened to US Pente Association?
Posted: Feb 9, 2021, 12:07 AM

Apparently, the newsletter in which the swap rule was discussed was the Spring '83 newsletter, which unfortunately I haven't seen pages posted online from.
https://renju.se/rif/pente/pentgifs.htm
However, the basic idea seems to have been that one player places three stones (two white, one black with one white stone in the center) and then the other player chooses which side to play. I think the center stone placement is too restrictive personally, but in any case one of my examples for why swap 2 is an improvement on swap involves an initial center stone.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
t0afer

Posted: Feb 9, 2021, 7:40 PM

Do you have access to a physical copy of the newsletter? Seems like if we're at it we could track down more copies and try to turn them into online pdfs? Too much work?

Having a copy of swap being proposed would certainly help.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 9, 2021, 8:25 PM

Penteman is the only person I'm aware of who still has physical copies currently. I'm not totally certain whether or not he has all of them, though.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
t0afer

Posted: Feb 10, 2021, 2:27 PM

Is he active still? We could message him and some of the others and see if we could pull together some of the copies, grab the one with the swap proposal in one of the newsletters, and then write up our own proposal?

I could help write it if you'd like, my background is in technical writing. I

I'm afraid I'm not as useful at analyzing games yet though.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 10, 2021, 3:20 PM

I sent him a note last night and have seen him around a few times lately. I'd appreciate some help on the writing - I don't have a lot of time to focus on it currently. Fortunately, over the years I've done a fair bit of study and analysis, so I can probably do an acceptable job in that area without spending too much time on it. There are others here who I'm sure could do better, but I don't know how much interest there is in doing that currently.

Replies: 19   Views: 66,763   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]