Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente endgame etiquette
Replies: 10   Views: 30,523   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 11, 2020, 9:54 PM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 10   Views: 30,523   Pages: 1  
karlw

Pente endgame etiquette
Posted: Oct 8, 2020, 10:34 PM

A fascinating thing I've noticed about pente players is that unlike the chess community, they almost never resign, to the point where it seems to be taboo in certain circles. Even when the game's outcome is assured, players of all skill levels (including masters who know this well ahead of time) will generally either:

a) Continue playing the best defensive moves or
b) Play stones at the corner of the board to signal they concede the victory.

I generally choose option (a), not necessarily because I think my opponent will blow their won game (although they occasionally do), but because I want players looking through the database to see the endgame played out logically.

Dear reader, which option do you choose and why?

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Pente endgame etiquette
Posted: Oct 8, 2020, 10:56 PM

well, nosovs once said, "you must show fighting spirit". he always played to the last move i believe. and yes to show the outcome. and maybe to get that last couple caps or a 4, so that when you open the board at first glance it looks as if they did something. perhaps if you resign early it would look like to some as if you rage quit, thus appearing as a poor sport. maybe it's humans inherent urge to forgo death till the last possible moment regardless of it's inevitable fruition. also, they worked hard to trounce you with their elegant onslaught of destruction, why rob them of that joy? they finished dinner so you're going to yank their desert from them? let them bathe in their glory. we live for the journey, not the destination. what good is climax without a proper anticipation build up thereto. lol. oh and perhaps some prolong it because they hope to make the winner suffer from a wait resembling watching paint dry. anyhoo not sure, but interesting topic.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 8, 2020, 11:17 PM

I usually play away from the action once there's a clear win; rarely(almost never, but it has happened) a player will send me a list of their next eight forcing moves, in which case I might decide to resign and leave the endgame as a puzzle.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 8, 2020, 11:26 PM

as to etiquette, no matter which you choose, play it out, click to corner, or hit the resign button, always say Good Game, or gg. not just when you win.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 8, 2020, 11:46 PM

Also, in chess you can have 517 move endgames, so resigning rather than playing to the bitter end in chess makes less sense.
ETA: I think in Go, there's a fine art of knowing exactly which move to resign on to show respect for you opponent but put up a fight when the position isn't assured. But, I know I don't know enough Go to attempt that, much less succeed.

Message was edited by: watsu at Oct 9, 2020, 12:34 AM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 9, 2020, 12:41 AM

Watsu you going to move in our games?

Karl, did you find interesting move in our game yet?

If you have time to gab in the forum you got time to move

haggis

Posted: Oct 9, 2020, 5:33 PM

I feel a bit like a chihuahua trying to bark along with the big dogs here, but the question was asked, so . . .
I normally play out the game as best I can in the pugnacious spirit of the "go down swinging" school of thought. In my mind, it also makes everybody pay attention and play their best to the end. I know that I've goofed and botched a sure win by not paying attention a few times, so it's also a good reminder for me. There have been a couple of times when an opponent goofed on their sure win and I refused to take advantage of it, but that's only been with new or inexperienced players. If an old pro slips, too bad for them.
Of course, I rarely forfeit in chess either, so there's that as well.

madmike

Posted: Oct 9, 2020, 8:27 PM

Early on, a player scolded me for depriving them of the "kill shot". So now I play to the end, but would happily resign when the outcome is obvious.

madmike

Posted: Oct 9, 2020, 8:29 PM

Not my games, so I dont care, but I have wondered about that behavior in the past.

gentry_j

Posted: Oct 10, 2020, 7:34 AM

YES ....! FIGHT TILL THE BITTER END....!!!!! I hate it when my opposition Says gg...Gg.. Thanks for playing... 3-moves B-4 the game is decided...Even if it proves 2-B the case...It can also B considered rude...Because it really is just an assumption on there part.....!!!!!!! No 1 likes being told the game is over & U lose.. Fun observation... And I would like 2 say 4 the most part all of the strong players here @ "Pente.org" who play the lower ranks R very Humble & considerate when winning...!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 11, 2020, 9:54 PM

Seeing that some people get upset when you resign, and some people get upset if you don't resign, i don't think it matters which you do. Can't make everyone happy. But, if its really important, you can simply ask your opponent when you are losing, which they want you to do. Resign or not resign. Then they can not complain.

Replies: 10   Views: 30,523   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]