Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: A trip down pente.org's memory lane
Replies: 4   Views: 43,822   Pages: 1   Last Post: Apr 14, 2020, 3:26 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 4   Views: 43,822   Pages: 1  
watsu

Home page
A trip down pente.org's memory lane
Posted: Apr 8, 2020, 6:18 PM

Looking at some of the old announcements and notes for pente.org from 2000 (the earliest year shown in the internet archive) I saw that dweebo had at one point added renju and ninuki renju as playable games here. I wonder what became of that code
https://web.archive.org/web/20000826211912/www.pente.org/version3.html

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat

rainwolf

Home page
Re: A trip down pente.org's memory lane
Posted: Apr 9, 2020, 5:51 AM

I looked, and I sadly don't have it.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 9, 2020, 5:54 AM

Shoot! *Paging dweebo

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 14, 2020, 7:18 AM

I think the code is not so much the problem, I have some code laying around here somewhere to compute legal moves for renju, the tricky part is to encode the opening procedure, amongst others, which has radically changed in the past 2 decades.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 14, 2020, 3:26 PM

For renju definitely, but not for ninuki renju. Also, renju from 20 years ago would still be playable, just not in the cutting edge tournament openings of today. But, I'm pretty sure sites like mindoku (soon going to vint.ee) don't use the cutting edge procedures either. My understanding is that only a few sites with English or Japanese language capabilities do have that so far.
ETA: apparently mindoku has the Taraguchi rule option (but not the Soosorv) since they're having a tournament using it in a few hours, but I don't think that it's their default rule set for renju, since the tournament is labelled as Taraguchi renju.

Message was edited by: watsu at Apr 14, 2020, 3:58 PM

Replies: 4   Views: 43,822   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]