Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Summer 2019 Portland Pente Summit
Replies: 17   Views: 127,581   Pages: 2   Last Post: Jun 23, 2019, 6:01 AM by: karlw

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 17   Views: 127,581   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
watsu

Home page
Re: Summer 2019 Portland Pente Summit
Posted: Jun 21, 2019, 5:42 PM

Neither Karl nor I took pics, so whatever his gf took is all there is. I probably should have attempted to record some of the lines we played sooner, but with vacation + travel it didn't happen. I can reconstruct a few of the openings/ lines I tried as P2 from memory and also a line Karl wanted to look at with me as P1, but beyond that Karl will probably have to help refresh my memory.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 21, 2019, 10:25 PM

Bear in mind there wasn't a fixed notation system on our board, so coordinate perspectives were different for Karl than for me in these games. These games are rough illustrations of how the lines went rather than exact move by move duplicates. Also, some of these games may have been speed and/or Boat Pente games, but I don't recall which were which. One game I played as P2 I was hoping might go something like

but instead it ended up going pretty much like

This is one line I tried without success, though it might have been one which Karl timed out on before he could win, I don't remember for sure.

This one was probably a Boat Pente game, but I won't swear to it at this point. A few weeks ago Karl and I played this line live in Boat, but we both made mistakes after move 7. I thought I had an improvement to counter his improvement after analyzing it, but didn't refer too my notes close enough to game time, so at this point I'd have to look at my notes again to see whether or not I really did have something workable.

I also played 1.K10 G12 2.G10 J14 which I realized was a mistake for me immediately after playing G10, despite Tesh's feeling that P1 can still potentially win it.

After a certain point we turned the clock off and just explored positions from the DB.

I wanted to look at 1. K10 L9 2. N10 J8 for P2, so Karl showed me his isometrical game against pente_gon which I should have checked the DB for beforehand but didn't.

Also, I wanted to look at 1. K10 K9 2. K7 K11 as P2, but once again Karl showed me how to beat that.

We also looked at redacted

Message was edited by: watsu at Jun 23, 2019 6:11 AM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
karlw

Posted: Jun 23, 2019, 6:01 AM

Excellent write-up watsu! Some additional comments:

Game 1: Yeah that's an easy win for P1.

Game 2: I think we played that one with Boat rules, and I tried some Boat ideas at the end that I think were going to work but I did run out of time at the very end.

Game 3: The key move here is 8 K11 M10 9 O10, and then I think White is in the driver's seat. In a previous game, I played O10 first, and quickly lost the initiative.

Game 4: Fun game. More people should play this 3rd move. I think richardiii might've come up with it first.

Game 5: Why are you revealing my secrets to the internet? Delete this unless you want N8 to be invalidated along with every other opening!

Replies: 17   Views: 127,581   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]