Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: New live game room concept
Replies: 23   Views: 136,491   Pages: 2   Last Post: May 5, 2019, 10:26 PM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 23   Views: 136,491   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
rainwolf

Home page
New live game room concept
Posted: Apr 13, 2019, 9:00 PM

I don't think the current model works to attract more live players. I think it should be remodeled to cater to people who come looking for an easy and (quick) game.

Aside from the missing numbers (of players), I think that, for this, we need a game room that doesn't open into a chat space, but rather a list of open tables that can be joined or an option to create a new open table for others to join. And upon joining, I'd give both players 30 seconds to start the game or have the table be cleared to avoid stale tables/players.

Is there another, perhaps more elegant, solution I'm not seeing?

watsu

Home page
Re: New live game room concept
Posted: Apr 13, 2019, 11:27 PM

I'd prefer something along the lines of busy/available toggle and challenges. I like the social aspect of open tables where no one is playing all the time, but social and analysis transactions can occur. The challenge and busy options let people know who wants to play and the social stays. Just my two cents from playing live games here and on other sites...

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 16, 2019, 5:20 PM

while that is nice, and I will keep some servers the way they are, it doesn't promote play. When a table is opened, incoming players are more attracted to an already open table, rather than them starting their own games.

I think I need to make the experience as painless as possible, and remove the need for social interaction to play live.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 16, 2019, 6:21 PM

Well, I disagree. Analysis and social were/are important factors in keeping me on this site for the past 20 years through a lot of ups and downs. Play is all well and good, but analysis and social are what separate this site from other sites where I can play - that and the DB and quality of play here, of course. And the variants. Oh, NM... lots of things keep me coming back, but live analysis and social are two of the biggest and they separate this site from just about everywhere else I've played.

Message was edited by: watsu at Apr 16, 2019 6:53 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 16, 2019, 10:13 PM

You're right, we're turning 20 this year, I hadn't been thinking of that.

But aside from that, I know it works for some, but it caters mostly to tighter knit groups of players, and it does not cater to, nor bring in the numbers I'd like to see.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Apr 17, 2019, 12:58 AM

I support you in doing whatever you feel will best bring in more players, since that takes priority over other factors.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 22, 2019, 12:08 AM

You want to make it that people can Not chat at a table? That they cant have time for analysis? aside from playing a game fast, you are removing live plays reason for being. I do not like turn based. In live play I like to discuss lines at my own pace. I like to socialize. If I can not do that, it may lower my odds of returning, for what ever that's worth. Perhaps make a default for what you propose, but make a bypass for those not into it, so that we can choose to be social.

~z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 22, 2019, 1:25 AM

why is the board so small, and the controls take half the screen? I appreciate the work you have done to move away from java. but i must admit I miss the feel of the java one.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 22, 2019, 11:20 AM

Small board? I thought I designed it to take the maximal size possible. Can you send me a screenshot? Mail is fine too.

I am not doing away with the live game room as it is, but I'm thinking of adding servers where getting a game becomes effortless, like the public invitations for turn-based. But all that is for later in the pipeline, going to focus a bit on tournaments now.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Apr 27, 2019, 10:30 AM
Screenshot 2019-04-27 at 27 Apr 10.27.22.png (235.9 K)

This is what I see, what do you see?

madmike

Posted: May 2, 2019, 6:01 AM

I know the live game room is only in beta, but I have trouble understanding what to do.
Maybe some words to explain what to expect after choosing a room to play in.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: May 2, 2019, 8:40 AM

When you choose a room to play in, you enter a large chat area, with a button on the top right that says "create table". If there are already other players playing at a table, the table should show up beneath that button. So you can either create or join a table on the right hand side.

After a table is created or joined, there should be glowing buttons to guide you. At first, if there are seats (as player 1 or 2) available, the button that says "take seat" should be glowing. When 2 players are seated, a button that says "play" should be glowing. Once both players have clicked play, the game starts.

Does that help?

madmike

Posted: May 5, 2019, 7:31 AM

some, but why no instructions on the game room site?

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: May 5, 2019, 8:21 AM

at first I presumed it was self-explanatory, even more so than the old game room. But I'll put it on my todo-list to add instructions.

madmike

Posted: May 5, 2019, 6:32 PM

live game board is not showing me where the stones are

Replies: 23   Views: 136,491   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]