Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: vacation loop
Replies: 12   Views: 55,721   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jul 11, 2018, 11:19 PM by: gaylen

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 12   Views: 55,721   Pages: 1  
gaylen

Home page
vacation loop
Posted: Jun 19, 2018, 1:08 AM

How is it that your opponent can keep preempting (?) vacation time on games in session here? Is there a good topic on this? I thought that you were allowed only a certain amount of vacation time per year on this site (during play of course)!

watsu

Home page
Re: vacation loop
Posted: Jun 19, 2018, 1:33 AM

Well, you can buy more vacation time here and then there are split weekend days things you can do in three day games. You didn't really want to finish that game this year, did you? Tsk...

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
gaylen

Home page
Posted: Jun 19, 2018, 8:04 PM

I wrote my first message here when I noticed that the time my opponent had to move went from 1 day back up to 8 (+ ?) days to move again. After I finished message and returned to Dashboard both my games were highlighted showing that it was my turn.
I set this game up for a 3 day move limit but later noticed that there was over a week time limit on this set. Just now I went into one of the games in order to verify that this was set for a 1 week move limit which it is set for. A surprise was that when I went into one of these games in this set I saw it was my turn to move even though the game showed that it was my opponents turn before checking/clicking into it. I doubt that this was coincidental timing of my opponent moving exactly at this time so I am mainly posting now to say that there seems to be a glitch here.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jun 24, 2018, 10:58 PM

That shouldn't happen, days-per-move timeout changing when the game starts.
Can you give me more details I can test with? Was that on a mobile device, iPhone or Android? Or on the website? Was it a KotH game or a regular game?
Can you point me to the game that was affected or is it an ongoing game?

gaylen

Home page
Posted: Jun 25, 2018, 12:00 AM

I remember setting move limit for 3 days but realized later that maybe opponent could change the move limit after my challenge and I never noticed. I'm wondering why the 'time move' limit always goes to 9 days for next move after moves are made. Just now I see that my opponents time limit went back up to 9 days for next move even though a move hasn't been made since yesterday morning. Yes, this is an ongoing game! And the other thing I mentioned is the games that showed it was my opponents turn but when I checked out the game I saw that it was actually my turn. I backed out to check the 'move' status again and then it showed on the dashboard that it was my turn. I couldn't see that my opponent was on line at the time(s) so this seems to be a little flaw.
I am using an ISUS laptop with Windows 10. I never figured out how to get into the game room yet with this computer so not sure if this has something to do with my settings.

Message was edited by: gaylen at Jun 25, 2018 12:02 AM

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jun 25, 2018, 9:57 AM

Any time limit that is 5 days or over, results in a practical time limit of 2 extra days, this is because dweebo has/had this feature where weekend days are not included in the timeout calculation. In your profile settings, you can pick weekend days, on those days, the timeout will skip an extra day ahead without deducting from the game limit timeout.

Weekends are extra/free timeout. So a 5 day timeout gives 2 extra days, a 10 day timeout gives 4 extra days (2 weekends), and so on.

The opponent cannot change the time limit, and I can find no evidence that it was set to 3 days. Either it was a glitch when the set was accepted, or you don't remember correctly, either is possible and I sadly can't track down which happened. If this occurs in the future, or if you can reliably reproduce this issue, that would give me something to track down a bug with, but I can't do much with the information I have.

As for the ongoing game not showing it was your turn until after you clicked it, I have to guess that your opponent had just moved. The dashboard is only updated when refreshed, so I am guessing your opponent moved after your last refresh.

As for the live game room, if you install java from Oracle, and then save the game room to your desktop, it should run out of the box, if you have further issues with that, let me know and I will do my best to assist you there.

lupulo

Home page
Posted: Jul 4, 2018, 4:01 PM

Just in case that it is our ongoing turn-based game you are complaining about, there is a simple explanation:
You invited me to that game with 3 days per move, which I -as I always do in such cases- declined with the statement that I require at least 7 days per move to avoid time-outs and that I will invite you back with the modified setting of 7 instead of 3 days per move.
And that is what I did then right after declining your invitation. You accepted this invitation and there we are...

Sapere aude.
gaylen

Home page
Posted: Jul 4, 2018, 7:34 PM

Thanks for that! Now I know what happened there and will be aware of this in the future!

haggis

Posted: Jul 11, 2018, 2:17 AM

I'm having a somewhat similar situation going on right now. I've had a game (7 days/move) with a player who hasn't moved in at least 1 1/2 weeks. Over the past few days, I've several times seen where my opponent has less than a hour left to make his move. When I go back and look at it later, he has more than an hour. This morning, I saw that he had 13 minutes left on the counter. I just looked again (about 9 hours later) and he has over 30 minutes left to make his move. Am I playing against a Time Lord?

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jul 11, 2018, 8:48 AM

This is the automated vacation system kicking in. Every user gets 10 days of timeout credit each year, when a game is about to timeout, they get 1 hour from their remaining credit to prevent a timeout, and 1 hour is deducted from their vacation time. You can see how much vacation time a user has left on their profile page.

haggis

Posted: Jul 11, 2018, 3:13 PM

Oh. OK.

When did that system start? Because of my haphazard schedule and frequent bouts of antisocial behavior I've lost so many sets from being timed out over the years that I'm now paranoid and won't play any games under 7 days/move.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jul 11, 2018, 10:00 PM

I overhauled it last November I believe, and introduced the automatic version perhaps a year or 2 before that. Before automatic vacation you were able to take a few vacation days per year, but that was manual, and I believe hardly anyone took advantage of it.

gaylen

Home page
Posted: Jul 11, 2018, 11:19 PM

Some of these/your games are like watching paint dry! All part of this scene I suppose!

Replies: 12   Views: 55,721   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]