Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Go (Beta)
Replies: 17   Views: 150,158   Pages: 2   Last Post: Mar 6, 2018, 8:29 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 17   Views: 150,158   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
rainwolf

Home page
Go (Beta)
Posted: Jan 23, 2018, 5:41 PM

I've implemented basic Go functionality. Hopefully.

It is turn-based only, p2 (white) has a 7.5 komi, and the score consists of the stones on the board + the area they enclose. Territory that is reachable by both players is not counted. Rated sets are single-game. Ko is not allowed and repetition neither.

I am not allowing open invitations yet, since none of the mobile apps support it.

I'm open to feedback and corrections, and a suggestion for the Go board color.

Things to expect on a scale from probably to unlikely:
- the option to play as p2 in the invitation window
- mobile apps support
- database support
- database support on the mobile apps
- support for handicaps
- live play (but this one is extremely uncertain).

watsu

Home page
Re: Go (Beta)
Posted: Jan 24, 2018, 6:42 PM

Great job! And now rainwolf and I both have our first Go game under our belts. Don't judge the game too harshly

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 29, 2018, 6:46 PM

The mobile apps are now live and the open invitations are open for Go business.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 2, 2018, 6:01 PM

I noticed that there is now a speed Go ranking list category. If/when speed Go becomes available to play, what should be the maximum time control allowed for a Go game to be considered a speed game? Perhaps an hour + incrementals? Thoughts?

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Feb 2, 2018, 6:05 PM

I'm thinking of a lower bound on incrementals at first, maybe 10-15 seconds?

In the future I'd like to see a timer that has a fixed number of seconds per move. Incremental time can emulate that in the meantime, but unused seconds still accumulate.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 2, 2018, 6:31 PM

Okay, using longer incrementals can work too. I guess my question becomes at what time frame are we drawing a general line between speed and regular Go. For Pente, a simpler game with roughly 1/10 the moves per game, we draw the line around 5/+ or 300 seconds and say faster than this = speed. Do we do something similar for Go and say faster than an hour of potential time per side for a completed game = speed? Some games might be 10/15, others might be 15/20. Is one speed and the other one brisk but not quite speed?

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Feb 2, 2018, 6:37 PM

I have no idea, but there's time to come up with something that makes sense.

When the game become available, I propose we play a lot of them to get a feel for what good cutoff parameters might be and then adopt those.

If more experienced Go players have suggestions for adequate parameters to separate speed from regular games, feel free to chime in.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 2, 2018, 7:55 PM

For consideration:
At online-Go dot com, they appear to divide games as follows -
under 20 sec per move = blitz
over 3 hrs per move = correspondence
between those two parameters = live

dmitriking

Posted: Feb 2, 2018, 11:43 PM

2 hours per move is considered a "live" game?

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 3, 2018, 12:01 AM

Well, that's what they said in the forum anyway. I know in OTB tournament games back in the day players would often spend a few hours looking at a position.
"It is Japan that formalized the game of Baduk first. But during the Shogunate period, there was no time provision for Baduk matches. It was common that a game between families took from 10 days, to 15 days. The famous blood vomitting Baduk game was played in this period. The longest time allowance was made for the game played in Japan in 1938, dawning era of Modern Baduk. It was the game between the last Honinbo Shusai and a young promissing player called Kitani. The Honinbo's retirement game. The time allowance was 40 hours for each player.
Due to Shusai's illness, the game was interrupted a few times. It completed in 158 days with 15 sealed moves. The record reads that Kitani spent 34 hours and 19 minutes while Honinbo Shusai Meijin did 19 hours and 57 minutes. Shusai Meijin passed away soon after the game presumably due to exhaustion from the ordeal. He literally took the game with life and death determination.
From this period onwards, the concept of time allowance settled down. 10~15 hours for a player which is used in 3 days. Then when the first Honinbo title match was launched in 1938, the time limit got reduced to 8 hours per a player. And until this day, 8 hour/2 day time allowance has continued in Japan's 3 major title games."
from http://gobase.org/reading/trivia/?id=thinking

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Feb 8, 2018, 9:30 AM

Live Go is available now, albeit in beta since it's newly developed. It's only available on desktop, and only in the Go room, and not (yet) on the mobile apps.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2018, 10:57 AM

iOS now also supports live Go. Once I finish support for that in the Android app, I will open KotH for Go.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2018, 5:46 PM

Great job! I really hope we get an influx of people Going mobile. Sorry, couldn't resist that one. The Who are now cued up in my head ☺

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Feb 13, 2018, 6:39 PM

nice one!

Live Go is now available across all devices. Update to the latest version to enjoy it.

I'm keeping Go confined to its own room for now, so I can iron out some bugs that might occur. Eventually I'll get rid of the dedicated Go room and from that moment you can also play live Go in the KotH room.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Feb 21, 2018, 8:30 PM

I added turn-based 9x9 and 13x13 Go. Same komi applies. Live versions are for later.

Replies: 17   Views: 150,158   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]