Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: question and suggestion
Replies: 3   Views: 52,606   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 5, 2018, 7:43 PM by: dmitriking

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 3   Views: 52,606   Pages: 1  
dmitriking

question and suggestion
Posted: Jan 4, 2018, 4:59 PM

I'm not sure if this should go in "Help," "Development," or "General," so I'm posting it here.

I've noticed an odd occurrence when reviewing games through a player's page (not the database).

When I click on a game that was part of a 2-game set in a tournament, the usual item box saying "Set status [Click here to see other game in set]" is absent.

I wasn't sure if that was intentional or not.

A suggestion:

I've notice that the "who's online" section lists players' ratings differently depending on whether the player is logged in to the website from a computer versus logged in via mobile app.

Those logged in through the website have their real-time Pente rating displayed, whereas those logged in to the mobile app have their turn-based rating displayed.

I'm guessing this is a holdover from times back in the day when people on the computer were more likely to be playing real-time but people on the app were more likely to be playing turn-based?

Since 99.something % of games played these days are turn-based, I was thinking it might be a good idea to just have one unified rating displayed, the turn-based rating.

rainwolf

Home page
Re: question and suggestion
Posted: Jan 4, 2018, 8:39 PM

The "Set status" is back, it probably got lost somewhere when I transitioned from Java to plain JavaScript.

As for the ratings, I made that intentionally so. Most mobile players would never play live and never had any rating displayed, so I changed that to display their turn-based rating. If you hover over the rating square, a hint should pop up.

I'm not yet ready to make it all turn-based yet, I'm still quietly hoping for (and trying to figure out) a live-play revival.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 5, 2018, 2:18 PM

The ratings now reflect whatever game you have chosen to view in the leaderboard.

But there's a catch, it's always a page reload away, changing the leaderboard game doesn't automatically update the ratings you see in the online players-box, but that will adapt after a page reload. The image hints are updated accordingly.

An instant change when a new game is chosen is for somewhere in the future.

dmitriking

Posted: Jan 5, 2018, 7:43 PM

> The ratings now reflect whatever game you have chosen
> to view in the leaderboard.
>
> But there's a catch, it's always a page reload away,
> changing the leaderboard game doesn't automatically
> update the ratings you see in the online players-box,
> but that will adapt after a page reload. The image
> hints are updated accordingly.
>
> An instant change when a new game is chosen is for
> somewhere in the future.

Nice work. I like this feature; now, I can change to the Keryo Pente leaderboard, and the information under "who's online shows Keryo ratings instead of regular Pente. Can definitely come in handy when looking to find opponents for a particular game.

Also, when I changed it to just "Pente," not turn-based, I noticed something interesting. All 11 people logged in via mobile have zero real-time Pente games played. Do people not play real-time from the mobile? I know it's rare in general, but it seems to be non-existent for the mobile portion of our crew. It is possible to play real-time from the mobile, right?

Perhaps it just reflects the fact that many of the computer-logins are players from back in the day before the mobile app, and that many of the mobile users joined the site after turn-based play had basically replaced real-time play. I think either Watsu or Brf made this suggestion to me a few months ago.

Besides that, it also makes sense logistically. Someone logged in through his mobile is less likely to have the time to stop everything and play a real-time game. It also must be pretty annoying to be in a real-time game and have the phone ringing, or giving alerts for text messages, etc. Then again, I don't really know, because I've never tried to log into the game room from my phone. 98% of the time I use this site, I'm at my desktop computer, or someone else's computer or laptop.

Replies: 3   Views: 52,606   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]