Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Turn-based weekend days
Replies: 5   Views: 54,387   Pages: 1   Last Post: Jan 10, 2018, 6:47 PM by: rainwolf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 54,387   Pages: 1  
rainwolf

Home page
Turn-based weekend days
Posted: Jan 3, 2018, 6:37 PM

When calculating timeouts, the server takes into account weekend days which you can set in your profile. On those days the timeout is extended for free, e.g. a turn-based game with 5 or more days effectively has 2 extra days of timeout time per move.

I don't really see the point of that and am thinking of doing away with weekends altogether.

Do you have a use for these weekend days? If so, let us know here.

watsu

Home page
Re: Turn-based weekend days
Posted: Jan 3, 2018, 7:07 PM

For shorter length TB games up to say 3 days per move or so, I think weekend days can be useful. Some days I have less time to think about Pente than others, and though it's fairly rare for me to approach timeouts, it's nice to know that I don't have to rush my moves on certain days of the week. I rarely play 5 or longerdays per move, so I can't really speak to their usefulness in those games.

Message was edited by: watsu at Jan 3, 2018 7:07 PM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
dmitriking

Posted: Jan 4, 2018, 1:54 AM

I'm thankful for the vacation days. Usually I wouldn't care, because I typically play 7 days per move.

But, playing multiple tournaments at the same time, and having 3 days to move in each game would be very difficult without the weekend days. Sometimes I go out of town to visit friends, which makes it difficult to do anything Pente-related: I'm busy, and I'm away from my computer and monitor that I'm accustomed to. I don't like analyzing games on a small laptop screen, but most of my friends use laptop computers and not the large screen monitor that I prefer.

It would be stressful to have only 3 days to move in a tournament and not have weekend days, knowing that leaving town for the weekend would mean returning home to find games down to their last day.

On a somewhat related note: Is there a way for us to determine when a game started? It's not overly important, but it could be helpful in gauging the time commitment when deciding whether to play certain players.

madmike

Posted: Jan 8, 2018, 3:56 AM

i'm with watsu

wilmar

Posted: Jan 9, 2018, 1:02 AM

I'm with watsu and madmike.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Jan 10, 2018, 6:47 PM