Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: King of the Hill ! ANd other topics
Replies: 3   Views: 55,936   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 5, 2017, 12:00 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 3   Views: 55,936   Pages: 1  
dmitriking

King of the Hill ! ANd other topics
Posted: Oct 4, 2017, 6:10 PM

I must admit, the KoTH system, which initially seemed rather odd to me, actually does create an interesting side goal of trying to gain and keep as many crowns as possible.

I wanted to gain all 9 crowns, and I came close. AT one point yesterday I had 7 of them outright and was tied at the top for the other two.

Of course, this cannot last, but it was fun to try. The Connect6 crown is untenable, because Ivans73 and Blaxx are just too good at the game.

The Gomoku crown is difficult to attain because it's very difficult to win a match of gomoku.

And the Pente and Keryo Pente crowns are tough to hold onto because there are a lot of strong players battling for the crowns.

I was wondering about the real-time KoTH crowns though - I'm wondering if there's a more direct way to have a challenge system in place? As it stands, the only way to move up in the real-time hills is to go to the KoTH room and wait for someone to play. However, I've sat in that room for hours at a time while doing other things in the background without anyone entering the room. Unlike the turn-based crowns, hills, there's pretty much no change in the status of any of the real-time hills and crowns. Perhaps they should just be eliminated, given the dearth of real-time play? It seems as though some 99% + of games played are turn based.

Other thoughts:

Are unrated games counted in a player's W-L record? In my case, the answer seems to be "no," but in the case of another player whose stats I was viewing, the answer seems to be "yes."

There was a time when stone games here were not played in sets. Obviously, that changed at some point (and for the better, in my opinion). Where it can get confusing is if the two different types of stats are merged together.

Example - I noticed that "Be_Water" has a W-L record of 192-5-38 for a win percentage of 97.5. Impressive, and intriguing, as I found myself asking, "Who were the 5 players good enough to beat him (or her?)" I found 9 games where be_water lost as player 1, so I figured that in 5 of those, Be_water also lost as player 2, this resulting in an overall loss. But, I actually found only two instances in which Be_Water lost as player 1 AND also lost as player 2. In the other 7 matches in which Be_water lost as player 1, the opponent also lost as player 1, resulting in a draw.

This, I found only 2 actual losses for Be_Water. Further adding to the confusion, the record of 192-5-38 and 235 total matches would seem to imply 470 games, but upon clicking on Be_water's profile, I see only 456 listed. I was wondering if there is an explanation for the disparity. Both could be explained if some of Be_water's early games occurred before set-based scoring went into place. (I didn't think this was the case though because all of Be_water's games occur after April 2011, by which point I thought all rated games were already being scored using the set-based system.)

Which leads to two questions - when did turn-based games become available on pente.org, and when did the scoring system change over to set-based?

That, in turn, leads to a suggestion - would it be possible to add a filter, both in the database and when viewing one's own or someone else's profile page (And possible for the leaderboards), to filter out all games before the set-based scoring system went into place?

I know nothing about programming, so forgive me if this is a particularly difficult task. I don't know if it would take one simple line of code, or hours and hours of rewriting existing code.

watsu

Home page
Re: King of the Hill ! ANd other topics
Posted: Oct 4, 2017, 7:43 PM

I tried ghosting in the koth room for awhile in hopes of attracting a set from someone but also didn't have luck. I can help you get a darker crown in live games if you want. Maybe seeing your nearly black crown will spur others to take an interest in live play again, who knows? Probably the only game where I might hold a chance in live play against you would be speed poof, I'd guess. Interesting questions, no doubt rw holds the answers to them

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Oct 4, 2017, 8:48 PM

> I was wondering about the real-time KoTH crowns
> though - I'm wondering if there's a more direct way
> to have a challenge system in place?

I'm keen on ideas for that but pessimistic about success, as you mentioned, it's crazy hard to find other live players as it is.

I did put a system in place where you could ping followers you're available for live play, but that needs some fine-tuning as well.

> Perhaps they should just be eliminated, given the
> e dearth of real-time play? It seems as though some
> 99% + of games played are turn based.

I'm inclined to keep them as I like live play, but sadly hardly have the time to do so.

> Other thoughts:
>
> Are unrated games counted in a player's W-L record?
> Which leads to two questions - when did turn-based
> games become available on pente.org, and when did the
> scoring system change over to set-based?

I don't know, I'd have to do some serious digging for that. It's very low on my list of things to do.

> That, in turn, leads to a suggestion - would it be
> possible to add a filter, both in the database and
> when viewing one's own or someone else's profile page
> (And possible for the leaderboards), to filter out
> all games before the set-based scoring system went
> into place?

Stats are kept track of separately, meaning they're not computed on the fly. If I were to add a filter, that means I'd have to separate and recalculate stats based on results of individual games in the database. I don't see myself getting around to that in the foreseeable future.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 5, 2017, 12:00 AM

A rough and quick guesstimates on TB and set based ratings based on my games and old forum posts-
TB ~ Sept. '05 (and rated games have always been in sets AFAICT; dweebo mentioned set based TB ratings in 2008 when he was getting ready to implement live set ratings, for example).
Set based for live games - some time after Nov. '08, not sure exactly how long after yet, but I believe it was in Dec. of '09 based on rating changes in my games history.
ETA: yes, Dec. of '09 was when live set ratings went live:
https://pente.org/gameServer/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=5&threadID=4431&tstart=45

My best guess is that unrated private TB games are counted among losses, which seems a bit odd.

Message was edited by: watsu at Oct 5, 2017 4:10 AM

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
Replies: 3   Views: 55,936   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]