Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: UNDO in turn-based play?
Replies: 5   Views: 55,383   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 6, 2017, 10:02 PM by: dmitriking

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 5   Views: 55,383   Pages: 1  
dmitriking

UNDO in turn-based play?
Posted: Sep 2, 2017, 9:25 PM

Is there a way to grant or request an undo in turn-based games?

I have a very interesting game going against a good player. I extended to a 4, and my opponent obviously mis-clicked, placing the stone 1 space to the right of where it needs to be to block my 4.

I don't really want a cheap win like that. But it's difficult to play the game out without an undo, because there are stones in the wrong places.

Thoughts?

brf

Home page
Re: UNDO in turn-based play?
Posted: Sep 2, 2017, 10:33 PM

Yep I hate that type of thing too. Though it most often manifests itself as an accidental timeout (either from me, or the opponent); which is the same kind of situation.

It sucks when you invest quite a bit of time in some of these games and want to finish it out proper, then a timeout or a mis-move happens and unless rainwolf intervenes (and both players agree) you are left with a bad ending to the game and likely junk being entered into the database. I'd second some way to address this type of issue, much like live play already has.

-Brf

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Sep 2, 2017, 10:57 PM

If both players send me a message of a game they want me to take a move back from, I'll grant that request. For now it involves editing the database manually, so doing that is pricey and I don't advertise it.

I have some code in the pipeline to take care of it with a click or let users take care of it with a request mechanism, but no ETA on when that will be finished.

dmitriking

Posted: Sep 2, 2017, 11:41 PM

As it happens, in this instance I was able to salvage the game, because the mis-placed stone didn't get in my way and didn't add any defensive value, so I placed a stone on A1 and allowed the game to follow its normal course. It's a really interesting position, so I didn't want it to end on a mis-click.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Oct 6, 2017, 9:08 AM

The latest version of the apps now support undo requests, note that
a) only subscribers can request an undo
b) if your opponent doesn't have the latest version yet, they can't see/accept your request

dmitriking

Posted: Oct 6, 2017, 10:02 PM

Excellent work, Rainwolf.

I'm hoping people only use the request for actual misclicks, not for situations in which they clicked where they wanted to but later regret their move.

Replies: 5   Views: 55,383   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]