Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: POWER rankings, new addition ?
Replies: 22   Views: 164,527   Pages: 2   Last Post: Aug 30, 2014, 6:39 AM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 22   Views: 164,527   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
zoeyk

Home page
Re: POWER rankings, new addition ?
Posted: Aug 17, 2014, 4:43 AM

wait just had a crazy idea...

ok.. lol

what if, we had a button on our dash board,.. (rainwolf is like "oh geez more dash board red button ideas", lol)

and the player can wait until the day they are ready to use it. when they do it will do the following:

start a separate rating using the exact same formula we currently use, it will only apply to games vs players with a rating of over 1700, and the other player's 1700+ rating can be from either their original rating, or from their new rating,..

following me so far?

then, additionally, the rating will record from both rated sets and unrated sets.

if unrated games are not played as a set the single game will not be recorded into the new rating.

next you ask, how do would work this concept of unrated being registered as a set? well im not sure yet, some one can maybe think up a creative scenario for that...

then the concern of unrated stat padding. well if a player is caught falsely padding the new rating with unrated sets, that player will held under pente trial and judged by a jury of appointed member piers, not admins, and if convicted that player will be black listed from the new rating system.

and then, how to do provisional, i say same formula as after, unlike now, but i dunno, and as to how many games, 20, 50, 100? maybe 100? i dunno...

if this sounds crazy i don't blame you,.. im just having some fun here

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
jayhawklov

Posted: Aug 21, 2014, 4:23 PM

I happened to like Zs last proposal. Way too much fun. Maybe for the fun of it, Just for the fun of it Will come out with a New Jayhawklov Ranking sometime in the near future. Lets see how many people I can piss off??? hehehe Your friend and Lover of the Game of Pente

Jayhawklov

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 25, 2014, 10:08 PM

Can't wait to see it JHL

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
fiveinarow

Posted: Aug 25, 2014, 11:24 PM

Pente is an amazing game. Personally, just play the game. If rankings and ratings are needed to determine your own happiness that you are "better" than any opponent, the spirit of the game is lost. Just play the game. When you get beat, say "good game", learn the F%&k up that cost you said match, move on to play another game. We all know our own gameplay and which players we have played and lost against and which players we have great battles against, sometimes losing, sometimes winning, and others which are not on our level-being waay better or worse. Another ranking would seem more self-serving than a help to others or oneself.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Aug 26, 2014, 3:34 PM

It is an amazing game, but I can see the value that ratings, and enhanced ratings, bring to others. For some it measures their progress, for new players it tells them who will whoop their behinds if they challenge them, for others it's a well-earned merit badge. We all assign a different meaning and value to both the game and the ratings, I'm willing to serve all.

madmike

Posted: Aug 26, 2014, 4:54 PM

i'm with rainwold, ratings are necessary, ratings help players choose learning opportunies, past learning choices, you should play scratch or dont complain, stats dont lie...much, you just read them way you want

valleyboy

Posted: Aug 29, 2014, 4:27 AM

C'mon, people...just PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 30, 2014, 6:39 AM

With regards to the instant matter,

What is right for one player is not always right for another. We choose our own paths of interest and reasons thereof. There is truth and rational to both perspectives. The best thing we can do is respect both side's freedoms to pursue the reasoning therein. Offer them your perspective yes, but interfere in attempt to forcefully preclude them from there desired path when they are informed of your perspective, no, unless their path treads on yours in a illegitimate manner. IMHO

We may be divided in certain ways we view the game, but in the end we are all united by the game of Pente.

Replies: 22   Views: 164,527   Pages: 2   [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Back to Topic List