Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Introducing a new type of forum
Replies: 18   Views: 156,173   Pages: 2   Last Post: Aug 14, 2014, 3:12 AM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 18   Views: 156,173   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
zoeyk

Home page
Introducing a new type of forum
Posted: Aug 12, 2014, 11:17 PM

This is notice of a new type of Forum I am creating. As it stands we don't have a way to make sticky threads wherein we would have the ability to pin important threads to the top of the list.

Therefore, with the creative idea from Rainwolf, I have created a new Forum where threads of importance are being hand picked and all threads shall be read only. If any of you finds any other threads of importance that you feel should be added to this new sticky forum please feel free to chime in on the matter.

The Sticky Forum (name subject to change) can be found here:
http://www.pente.org/gameServer/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=34&start=0

Thanks,

Zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Introducing a new type of forum
Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 12:46 AM

bump

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
invictus

Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 3:55 AM

who decides the importance of such posed subjects and on what basis?
wow
i cannot say anything else politely
so
just wow

bloodied but unbowed
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 4:16 AM

The community is a huge factor. Members who wish to be involved proactively will have a large say. I am just here to help. In this project I am trying to organize things that may be important to new comers and old timers alike. If ultimately the community and admin(s) opinions varied dramatically for some odd reason, we can always do two different directories. a community voted directory, and a admin(s) top pick directory.

Your thoughts? I'm all ears.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 4:19 AM

By the way,.. the original inspiration for this was because I wanted to pin jasonb's Pente for Dummies thread to the top page for all newbies to see when they enter the forums. Perhaps I should had stopped there, but I threw in some other threads too. It's not like Im saying you can't comment, you can, in the original threads they link to.

your thoughts?

haggis

Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 4:22 AM

A question regarding these sticky posts (and I obviously don't participate socially here as much as many others):

What if someone, let's say we call him "a friend", has a question regarding a particular sticky post? Should a new thread be posted which poses said questions? If the questions and threads are pertinent, could the pertinent points be added to the existing, read-only posts at some future date as a clarification or addendum?

OK. That was three questions, but I am universally regarded as a jerk, so I'm good with that.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 4:29 AM

Hi haggis thanks for the question. I'll try to answer this.

The sticky posts, which I'm now currently calling a Directory, are simply short cuts to the actual threads hidden throughout the forums. So when you view a sticky post, it at the top gives you the link to go straight to the exact same thread where you Can actually post and make comments.
This is not designed to stop people from posting. This is designed as a quick guide to locate hidden threads, and they are locked so that it forces the posts of respondents to be all in one thread, not split into 2 identical threads, because if you could do that, it would be confusing to track down all the posts, IMHO.

Certainly we can open it up to allow people to post on duplicate threads that are just meant as a directory quick link, but my question to you is, would that make sense given what I just explained?

Your thoughts?

invictus

Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 4:30 AM

i am trying t understand...
so
the relevant posts will be determind by a jury of sorts?
popular vote?

bloodied but unbowed
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 4:42 AM

Hi vic, or any one else for that matter,
Please tell me how you would like it to work. I assure you I am not here as a dictator. I am a extension of the community. You guys decide what you think is best.

The admins are just here to offer improvements to the community and to reinforce and preserve the communities visions and safety etc...

While a admins shot call may not always make every member happy, in general we work for you guys. While rainwolf is the final say on things, we understand that without the community here, there is no site here.

In this instance, as both a admin, and as a member, I was trying to offer my time to do something I thought was proactive to make the forums easier for people in at least some small way.

So, let me know how I can help in the aforesaid matter.

As far as how to pick posts, while you're pondering that.

Spinning a wheel or picking random posts from the proverbial hat probably won't achieve a well picked consolidated list.

A human or humans need to use judgement.

1 person,
a comity,
a voting poll for the entire member's list to vote on,
all member's posting or P.m.'ing admins about it,

it's what ever you want.

Or just delete the entire thing and not offer new comers that option if you prefer.

If you guys/gals, do like the idea of a quick directory for important threads, because we all know the good ones get lost, then perhaps we might consider not making the list too long. but, I leave that to you guys to determine.

Another option:

I can make the directory invisible, so as not to offend any one, and the member's who would like to view can let me know and I can add them to the permission list to view said invisible directory. Seems a silly option imo, but a option never the less. Every thing i said in the above posts still stands of course.

Again this whole thing came about because of jasonb's thread for teaching new comers pente basics. Me and rainwolf came up with the forum directory thing today, so there has not been much time yet for any one to think through your concerns of there being a dictator etc. ultimately if the community doesn't chime in proactively, some one else may do it for them with best intentions.

If there are any threads in the directory that you "strongly" feel do not belong, please state which one you would like to see removed from said directory.
And, in the alternative:
If there is not a thread posted in said directory that you "strongly" feel should be added, again, please state which one that is.

Or, If any one feels that the Directory should be called "Jasonb's Pente for Dummies forum" and make it a duplicate thread that you can post to as well, and delete all other threads from the directory,.. then please let me know.

So, now there are many options listed.

So often member's are silent voyeurs of the fora. Perhaps this is an opportunity for member's voices to be heard and a cause to compel them to participate in the sites construction/design.

If none chimes in beyond this post, then I shall consider it that the community doesn't care much one way or the other and as a result (notwithstanding any of rainwolf's wishes) the aforesaid directory forum shall stand "as is".

Thanks,

Zoey

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Aug 13, 2014 5:29 AM

invictus

Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 10:34 AM

well given that there is an establishment of parameters for how said threads are posted i think its a great idea!
also think there should be a direct link from the dashboard window for easy access for beginners if that is the goal

bloodied but unbowed
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 11:08 AM

well, there was suggestions for parameters, as it currently is I just picked threads I thought could be helpful to new comers as a trial idea for the communities consideration. As to the rest I leave that up to you guys...

With regards to the Dash Board,.. Only Rainwolf has access to moderate that. So, that is his department. Between you and him basically. But I like the idea.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 11:11 AM

should I remove the thread about Rollie Tesh?

Have you guys actually looked at the Directory yet?

Just curious...

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 12:31 PM

Hey fellow Pentegonians,

First off, I want to commend zoeyk on his efforts here, it took some time to get this done, and then some more time to recover from some mishaps. Like he said, the inspiration for this was jasonb's excellent post (pente for dummies), which was too excellent to be lost in the forums. Unfortunately our forums software version does not support sticky posts, so we had to be a bit creative and this is what we came up with. We didn't consult the community on how to go about it, but this thread is an great place to post your concerns and ideas on what we did, and we welcome any and all input.

The only goal we have in mind is to make pente.org a nicer and better place for everybody to have fun at. For this to work, ideally, I'd need permission to read everybody's mind, and aside from some privacy issues, I don't think we're there yet technologically, so we'll do this old-school for now, by talking/typing. It's a bit touchy-feely, but the best we have at the moment and we'll do our best to make this work
While we won't be able to please everyone all the time, we will try to please most of you most of the time, because pente.org is all about you, its users. The admins here are not here to police this website, we're here to improve your experience. After all,
- it's your games that fuel the database, with now over 15 million moves, and fast approaching 500 000 games,
- it's your donations and the ads that you let us display on your computer that help pay for the hosting and the digital certificate,
- it's your input and the time you give to write it that helps us make this a better place.

In short, it's all about you. A dictator role with an army of little minions to do my bidding does sound cool, but I can only dream about that. In the meantime we (admins) will be minions to pente.org and listen to what you have to say. If you feel something is important to go into the new forum, let us know, or start a discussion, and if our attention isn't there, feel free to shoot us a PM to point our attention there. The same goes for topics that you don't think belong there. In short, kindly allow us a peek into your mind and thoughts by sharing them.

I see the concept we have now is a good one, given that sticky posts are not an option. There's still an option to add new posts to the original threads, and the issue of deciding which posts go in there or are to be removed will be decided by a discussion.

We realize all too well that the power to flick a switch lies with the admins, but what good is that to us if there's no one around to play? We can't force you to play here, but we can do our best to improve this place for you, and for that we need to hear your voice. Kind of like how government should work, after all, it's your taxes that pay them, they're employees of the people. The same goes for pente.org, your games and input make this place what it is today, and that's invaluable to us.

Let it rip, I'm all ears

haggis

Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 3:34 PM

Rainwolf, I like the idea. Although, personally, I'm probably not going to take advantage of it to it's full potential. I'm really more of a low end, stubborn, learn how to walk by falling down repeatedly kinda player. However, this does sound like something that can help the more conscientious and eager to learn players make their game better.

zoeyk, thank you for that explanation. I did not notice the direct link to the original threads. With that in mind, I see no need for parallel threads, myself.

To both Rainwolf and zoeyk, thank you for your time and energy on this site and for spreading the good word of pente.

be_water

Posted: Aug 13, 2014, 11:16 PM

I think having a best of threads section in the forums is a great idea.

The pente for dummies thread has improved my game the most second to only actually playing the game and it has definitely become lost in the forums for only those willing to dig to find.

Also I think its great for the threads explaining things like how to make boards or emoticons be easily accessible too.

Thanks for your work on this zoey

Replies: 18   Views: 156,173   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List