Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Trolls go away GUEST 25....
Replies: 37   Views: 205,550   Pages: 3   Last Post: Feb 24, 2014, 12:02 AM by: nodice

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 37   Views: 205,550   Pages: 3   [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
greekgirl1

Home page
Trolls go away GUEST 25....
Posted: Nov 7, 2013, 2:34 AM

Played with a so called: "guest25"...was a nut. Just wanted to bring light to the subject, as trolls do not like "light" or attention brought to them. Trying to be nice or play with a not known person, yikes.

So, to you called... "guest25". You are not welcome here anywhere close to any pente player's at this site. As we are way to "Nice", to deal with a troll.

Will really watch out for overly dominate nuts, as you belong at another place.

brf

Home page
Re: Trolls go away GUEST 25....
Posted: Nov 7, 2013, 2:58 AM

I think the whole guest acct thing is abused and serves no necessary purpose anyway. It's just not that hard to create a legitimate acct on this site in the first place. There's been a few posts about this in the past too so it's a problem many users have seen that is not going away.

If the desire is to keep the guest accts for some reason, then I think all of those should be blocked from chat\typing by default. Would also be nice to tag them with something visible to other users concerning their current ongoing behavior for their "acct session" too. (Expert, Lude, Troll, etc)

Aside from booting them from a table there's not much else you can do really. You can block users in your profile, but those guest accts are always re-assigning and someone can just go create another guest26. It might just be worthwhile to have a checkbox to ignore\block all guestXX accts.

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 7, 2013, 4:00 AM

So let it be, and play for fun...this is my wish for all.
Life is hard, why make it harder in your spare time??

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Nov 26, 2013 5:39 AM

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Nov 26, 2013 6:22 AM

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 7, 2013, 10:43 AM

I'll have to take a closer look at the guest accounts, I have no idea if there are a lot of people who play as a guest before signing up and sticking around. I guess I will find out if I disable them and keep an eye on new registrations
I have no intention (at this moment) to knee-jerk and disable them immediately, unless it becomes a problem (weekly incidents for example). I'm more in favor of banning a certain IP address for 24 hours for example.

Trolls are (usually) no fun, and (for whatever reason) attention is all they want. Ignoring them is all the advice I can give here. Try it, you'll see him/her trying harder to get your attention.

Game on!

ennuee

Posted: Nov 10, 2013, 10:02 PM

Agree that players should somehow be authenticated. We lost a very nice person on this site because of behavior that could be considered cyber stalking. Very inappropriate. I am sad to see that person go and the stalker allowed to remain!

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 11, 2013, 12:26 AM

Removed by Kris, withak. I apolgize for my drama, to my fellow players.

Edited on 11/20/2013

Thank you.

Message was edited by: kriswithak at Nov 20, 2013 6:05 PM

lisa_a

Posted: Nov 12, 2013, 5:40 PM

The guest option is a fairly new implementation and I've seen more negative than positive from this. I think if a new person visits the site, they're here to play and will take the extra 15 seconds to create a legitimate account.

I honestly believe that the majority of the guests who are logged in are not really guests, but are members of the site.

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 12, 2013, 7:40 PM

As far as I can see, disabling/preventing the guests from participating in the chat would eliminate the abuse. Or am I missing something?

I'll put that on my ToDo list
(In the absence of arguments against that)

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Nov 13, 2013, 3:45 PM

I got a little too excited (*evil_grin*) and put the above mentioned feature in there. At first glance, I haven't broken anything, but it was only a small glance. If anything is not working (in the gameroom), let me know.

w00t

Message was edited by: rainwolf at Nov 13, 2013 4:42 PM
I celebrated too soon, I have a game room version ready where guests cannot talk, but I broke Turn-Based games while doing it. I reverted my changes, so the "new and improved" game room will have to wait a tad longer. Pardon the inconvenience.

Message was edited by: rainwolf at Nov 13, 2013 5:06 PM
Everything should be working now, including the "improved" game room. If not, let me know.

up2ng

Posted: Nov 14, 2013, 9:14 PM

I think there were additional reasons why guest accounts were added at the time which had to do with some bugs in the software that occasionally locked people out of the site for a day or two, and this allowed people to continue playing without creating alternate accounts (another "problem" that was rampant once upon a time). I'm not sure if some of those problems were ever resolved, so it might not be a great idea to completely do away with guest accounts just yet.

play_wthme

Posted: Nov 14, 2013, 9:30 PM

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Hoping all gets resolved soon!

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Nov 14, 2013, 10:31 PM

i agree with up2ng. that reason alone makes us neeed guest account capability. blocking guest chat is good enough. and people don't need to worry about getting sand bagged for their points as guests can't play rated any ways. so much paranoia over regulars hiding under guest names, but, who cares, or i mean, why care? "So what" is my opinion. Thanks rainwolf for the new feature and hard work!

and, kriswithak, are you airing dirty laundry publicly about something/someone? I didn't exactly understand you as you were talking somewhat in riddles.

~z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
painter62

Posted: Nov 23, 2013, 8:19 PM

I agree with lisa a. There have even been admissions to this from some "high rollers" in the past. If there are legitimate "guests", then welcome - but no "chatting".

Message was edited by: painter62 at Nov 23, 2013 8:20 PM

After reading many posts on this topic I've come to the conclusion that the "mute" or "boot" buttons are adequate for resolving any difficulties with a rude guest leaving "chat" as an option for seriously interested, polite newcomers.
Message was edited by: painter62 at Dec 4, 2013 4:04 PM

fiveinarow

Posted: Nov 25, 2013, 11:01 PM

Looking at all of these comments/replies makes me ponder some obvious (to me) results to any of the aforementioned actions to possibly take re:guests; 1.) If the chat feature were removed from guest accts. as mentioned, how would the guest feel about not being able to ask a few general questions about the site, program and features, the A.I. (and its interface), etc. Basic, general queries totally appropriate for a new comer to want to ask. They may feel like this is some "holier than tho" elitist site with a bunch of stuck up, snobby players who don't wish to take the small amount of time it takes to help them enjoy this great game as we do. That would suck. 2.) If a player DOES create a ghost acct. for the purpose of gaining rank, what do they benefit? Nothing as far as I see, except bragging rights. Besides, when they would play legit games against other players, the truth would show in their games and inability to keep any high ranking gained through false acct. creation/use. Just don't play any games with them, or play them CONSTANTLY to drive their numbers down. Either way, easy solution to a (non) issue, as fa as I see. 3.) If a guest is using chat in a room inappropriately, perhaps using vulgarity or offensive terms etc., there is the 'silver bullet' button on the sidebar to fix the problem: it is the "BOOT" button. Easy solution (again) to a minor issue. Now, as frustrating or bothersome as these issues appear to be to the issue of guest accts., the big thing I keep thinking about is: Why has this become such a big deal? The solutions or fixes are already at our disposal without having to re-do or change the program in the first place. Any 'fix' to the program would be an add-on 'band aid' redundancy that is not really needed in the first place. Use the options already at our disposal first, then try a 'fix' if these do not actually work. If I am missing something here, please inform me of such, as it would be out of ignorance on my behalf and easily fixed (again) with the proper info. Thank You

kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Nov 26, 2013, 6:22 AM

When I wrote my post it was after the games were played by this "one" guest 25; they had played me before...and taunted me after we played. So, I had no time to boot them as it was not my table. There was no way to avoid them as I did not know which number guest they were, as I played a lot of guest.

I always make time to play new comers!!! To WELCOME them, and hopefully they will return. If I really enjoyed them, I use my donation's to give them a color...just because I want to. I will continue to play new comers and be more than happy to be helpful to them. I would rather play unrated, for the fun of the game.

Really, there are not enough players at this time for anyone to ban/ignore, another player; for any reason. Unless they directly offended you, so "deeply" that you can not get over it. There has to be some type of forgiveness...as playing the computer can be lonely.

Also, to be wondering who a new name is...WHY? To try to figure out who they are...really why waste your energy?
Maybe they want to just play with out all the long hello's and goodbyes... It is possible they want personal privacy. Which is totally fair.

So, I am game for any player to play with me. Any game, C6 ect. I will still; and have always taken the time to be helpful. Maybe I chat to much out of kindness, but NEVER to offend. Also, I really try not to get to personal. Just friendly. As I really don't want to have to answer what I do. When. or Where......

So let it be, and play for fun...this is my wish for all.
Life is hard, why make it harder in your spare time?? If you dread coming to gameroom to avoid a player...why come in?

Replies: 37   Views: 205,550   Pages: 3   [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Back to Topic List