Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Policy or rules about inviting players to games Lower or higher
Replies: 2   Views: 59,696   Pages: 1   Last Post: Oct 29, 2013, 7:36 PM by: brf

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 2   Views: 59,696   Pages: 1  
simplelost

Home page
Policy or rules about inviting players to games Lower or higher
Posted: Oct 28, 2013, 7:49 AM

Just wondering what is the best on inviting players of higher or lower scores. Does it really matter who invites who in turn base games. Everyone has the option to decline the offer for your time. Don't hesitate to send me an invite for just about any game on Pente.org
Josh Short

zoeyk

Home page
Re: Policy or rules about inviting players to games Lower or higher
Posted: Oct 29, 2013, 5:53 PM

You can invite any one you wish. It is good to play some one of your similar caliber to not feel frustrated with the game, However, in reality the best way to get better is to play high caliber players. You will lose more, but you will learn more. It takes a challenge to become better.

With that said, If you are lower ranking, and you challenge a high ranking player, while the high ranking player has the advantage of skill, the lower ranking player will have the advantage of gaining a lot more points, and similarly and simultaneously a high ranking player will be risking a huge point drop if he/she loses to a low ranked player.

Most high ranked players here don't mind at all to play a low ranked player. So if they decline to play, its usually because they have too much on their plate to make the time. and but, also, if a high ranking player plays a low ranking player, and the low ranking player shows that they don't even know they need to make a elementary move such as block a open 3 in a simple opening set up, the high ranking player may decline further games simply due to boredom. So the low ranking player should try to make a effort when challenging a high ranked player.

just my 2 cents.

~Z

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
brf

Home page
Re: Policy or rules about inviting players to games Lower or higher
Posted: Oct 29, 2013, 7:36 PM

Yeah I agree with Zoey's comment about playing higher rated players though sometimes can be frustrating, many times it is the best way to improve your skills at the game. Most players here don't mind playing a set, and I usually accept all invites as long as the timer isn't set to something like 1 day.

Err to the side of longer is better on move time here I'd say, most people will accept the set regardless of rating provided you've given adequate move time for them. (For me 7 days is awesome and 3 is a bit tight...I usually don't take all that time but sometimes it's nice to have if I get busy.)

Many times over, playing someone of like rating will yield you a challenging game as well. Pro's and Cons for playing all levels of players really. If you're trying to become better at pente though and not get caught doing the same old things, then I'd try and keep some tough opponents in your queue just to push your limits. It's one of the better ways to find weaknesses in your playing style as well as learning differing strategies and tactics used by other opponents.

Replies: 2   Views: 59,696   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List