Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Pente.net is finally back up
Replies: 10   Views: 59,408   Pages: 1   Last Post: Nov 11, 2013, 4:13 AM by: pente_man

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 10   Views: 59,408   Pages: 1  
haggis

Pente.net is finally back up
Posted: Oct 17, 2013, 5:19 AM

I know it's kind of the competition, but there are a few here that play both sites. Sorry if this steps on toes.

rainwolf

Home page
Re: Pente.net is finally back up
Posted: Oct 17, 2013, 10:25 AM

Nah, I've never played there, and my toes are not that long
I just have to make pente.org even more fun then

haggis

Posted: Oct 17, 2013, 11:38 PM

There are a lot more players over there (by pure numbers), but the level of competition is higher here. I've certainly learned more here than there, myself.

valleyboy

Posted: Oct 18, 2013, 2:16 AM

Can there be too much pente??? Nooo

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Oct 18, 2013, 11:36 AM

what attracts players to .net rather than .org?

valleyboy

Posted: Oct 18, 2013, 5:42 PM

Not "rather than"...just more pente. Tight site, just like .org. Bit different format, many players in common, both sites.

haggis

Posted: Oct 19, 2013, 3:03 AM

A few things I've noticed that might make a difference:

- .net has more players, although many are casual or indifferent players. Numbers beget numbers. I try to get lots of people to play both sites, but most would rather play WOW than use their brains playing a real strategy game.

- The higher level of competition here has put a few people I know off of .org. They get their . . . butts handed to them consistently a few times, get discouraged and quit. On .net, one can more easily find someone of their own skill level and not feel quite so outmatched and intimidated simply because of the pure numbers of players (see point above).

- When I first started playing the two sites, the interface here seemed less intuitive than at .net. Not that it was difficult once you got used to it, but it was not as easy to navigate through the site to get the kind of game I was looking for. A few people I know were surprised when I told them .org had turn-based games. They thought it was all live pvp.

- On a related note, the ease of interface, along with the more basic, colorful and almost cartoony appearance of .net is probably more appealing to more people. Real gamers are going to game regardless, but many casual players will judge the book by the cover, so to speak.

Other than those points, I prefer to play here, myself. The higher level of general competition is nothing but good for my game. Also, the one thing I really like here is the open invitation. At .net, you have to challenge a particular player every time you want to play. Here, you get opportunities to meet and play anyone willing to take up your challenge.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Oct 24, 2013, 1:19 AM

.net doesn't have time limitations per move in the same way that .org does. It will tell you last moved 1 week ago, or 7 minutes ago on a game and at some point finds some way to make life difficult for you if you basically abandon a lost game instead of finishing it, but there's no equal time clock factor there. So, people can log in, start several games, play a few moves on each or finish several games against an online opponent and they just count as won or lost games, regardless of whether they were played "live" or TB. Also, the lack of transparency on how a game an opponent won or lost played out and a scoring (I won't say rating) system biased towards number of games won are probably more encouraging (less intimidating) to casual players. .org for learning the game, .net for finding an opponent is my general assessment of the state of things the last time I was active on the sites.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
kriswithak

Home page
Posted: Oct 24, 2013, 4:52 PM

We have to focus on pente.org, as this is my home sweet home. Other sites just do not have the same personal touch.

haggis

Posted: Oct 30, 2013, 8:11 PM

The "trouble finding a game" message on the dashboard should be very helpful for newcomers.

pente_man

Posted: Nov 11, 2013, 4:13 AM

One thing that attracts me to pente.net is the options available when an opponent has not moved within the allotted time. You can choose either to cancel the game or to wait longer for a move to be made. This allows the chance to complete a really good game or to cancel a slow one. If there happen to be site issues that prevent players from moving, their games are not ruined by timeouts. Instead of simply cancelling a game, players might prefer another choice to mark the game as a loss for their opponent. This would provide a motivation for players to move within time limits. It would be nice if these options were available in turnbased games here at pente.org

Replies: 10   Views: 59,408   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List