Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: D-Pente is Here!
Replies: 7   Views: 60,051   Pages: 1   Last Post: Dec 21, 2016, 9:18 PM by: mikaelh

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 7   Views: 60,051   Pages: 1  
dweebo

Home page
D-Pente is Here!
Posted: Feb 11, 2004, 3:59 PM

I am currently working on implementing D-Pente at DSG, look for it in the coming weeks!

For those unfamiliar with this game it is a Pente variation suggested by Don Banks, he used to play here as dbanks though I don't think he's been on in some time. Anyways, the idea is to make the game fair for player 2 and I think it does a pretty good job. The game starts with player 1 making the first 4 moves! Weird but true. Player 1 also does NOT have to follow the tournament rule. So you're thinking to yourself, how is this helping player 2??? Well, after the first 4 moves are made, player 2 gets the option to swap seats! So player 2 can look at the 1st 4 moves and decide if white or black has a better position and then play either one. The game then continues from there as normal. If you think about it this makes the game very fair because player 1 MUST play 4 moves that are neutral, otherwise player 2 can see that white's position is better, or black's position is better and easily win.

I originally thought it wouldn't be that hard to add but the whole swapping thing is proving to be tricky, there are many special cases to consider. I've got the basic swapping working so I'm getting closer.

Pente Rocks!

mmammel

Home page
Re: D-Pente is coming!
Posted: Feb 12, 2004, 2:53 PM

Excellent, I think D-pente is a great way to make the opening fair and simple. I will be starting up the 2004 PBEM pente tournament soon and it will be using the D-Pente opening.
-M

daxoo

Posted: Feb 12, 2004, 4:26 PM

Question, am I missing something?

If I understand well when the player 2 have decide if he swap or not the game start with 4 white stone and 0 black stone, how could it be fair for black to start with -4 stones on table, I really can see why some one would choose to play black.

I need help to understand D-Pente folks

Dax.

dweebo

Home page
Posted: Feb 12, 2004, 5:33 PM

Yes, you're missing something, my fault because I didn't explain it correctly!

White makes the 1st 4 moves, but the COLOR of the stones played still alternates. So player 1 is really making 2 white moves and 2 black moves.

Pente Rocks!
dweebo

Home page
D-Pente is here!
Posted: Feb 15, 2004, 6:55 PM

D-Pente can now be played at DSG! I'm pretty excited about this, can't wait to get on and play around with it.

I tested D-Pente and the other games more than I normally do before a new release so I am feeling confident that things are working well....however, I usually feel confident and then someone finds a bug, so please be on the lookup for anything unusual. D-Pente is tricky because players can swap after move 4, so seats have to swap, timers swap and players can request undo's at the same time, players can be booted while deciding to swap, or right after the swap, etc. so there are quite a few weird cases out there, I think I covered them all but I could be wrong.

One minor game-play note, player 1 CAN request undo's during the 1st 4 moves, however once player 2 decides to swap or not, those 4 moves are set in stone (pun intentional) and no one can undo them. This just simplifies greatly the complexity of the code and shouldn't be a big deal.

So enjoy and let me know what you think of D-Pente!

Pente Rocks!
mikaelh

Posted: Dec 21, 2016, 8:30 PM

Is the "Tournament Rule" used in D-Pente?

rainwolf

Home page
Posted: Dec 21, 2016, 9:08 PM

The tournament rule is a bit meaningless in D-Pente since it was instated to limit p1's 2nd move and thereby its advantage. The modification in D-Pente to achieve that goal is precisely to let P1 pick the 1st 3 moves and let P2 decide to continue as P1 or P2.

tl;dr: There is no tournament rule in D-Pente

mikaelh

Posted: Dec 21, 2016, 9:18 PM

Great!
I would love to try "D-Keryo-Pente" = Keryo-Pente with the same opening rule as D-Pente.

Replies: 7   Views: 60,051   Pages: 1  
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]