Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Rare Pente board
Replies: 30   Views: 218,025   Pages: 3   Last Post: Mar 21, 2018, 4:11 PM by: watsu

Search Forum

Back to Topic List Topics: [ Previous | Next ]
Replies: 30   Views: 218,025   Pages: 3   [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
jac_53

Rare Pente board
Posted: Jun 26, 2003, 5:42 AM

Hi to all, I am looking for the laminated birch Pente board issued in the late 70's after Pente was introduced. These boards are signed by Mr. Gabrel and are numbered. I believe only 1,000were released. I have been looking on e-Bay, but so far have not seen one. Would also be interested in finding one of the glass Pente boards. If anyone can provide me with any info, please contact me at clarkja@gte.net.Many thanks,jac_53

ronnie

Re: Rare Pente board
Posted: Aug 16, 2003, 4:28 PM

I read in the instructions guide to a 1984 Pente game that wooden and glass pente game boards exist but I have never seen one in person or on e bay. I'll let you know if I uncover one.

jac_53

Posted: Aug 18, 2003, 7:44 PM

Hi Ronnie, Thank you for your e-mail. Would definitely appreciate hearing from you if you come across a wooden Pente board(or glass for that matter).I had a gentleman from Oklahoma City tell me that he had just recently sold a wooden board in perfect shape!!!Oh well...such is the joy of collecting. Being from Oklahoma (Tulsa) I am particularly interested in anything vintage Pente as Gary Gabrel is a native Oklahoman.I remember buying my first Pente game at the (now defunct) John A Brown store in Tulsa back in '78.I recently acquired a tan colored version of Pente with the yr. "1977" on it. I'm thinking these must have been very early versions of the game.
Its a fascinating game,and I'm glad its going to be re-issued.
Take care, Ronnie---hope to hear from you in the future. Best regards, Jo Ann

ronnie

Posted: Aug 19, 2003, 5:36 PM

I also have the '77 tube game. I think those are pretty rare. Instead of black, the lines and writing on the soft board are green. I bought it off e bay. I also have the 1984 flat version that is ubiquitously sold on e bay and another tube version from the early 80's stored at my moms house that I haven't seen in years. I also have some old Pente stones that were bought separately in individual plastic packages from the early 80's. How big of a collector are you?

Ronnie

juststeve

Posted: Sep 4, 2003, 9:55 PM

At work I challenged my crew to make pente boards. We now have the most interesting collection. Glass, polished bronze and brass, Hardwoods, laminates and inlays. The next board will be marble with inlaid gold grid. Our only challenge is which boards to play on.

badtaste

Posted: Dec 18, 2003, 9:23 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3165229806&category=2530

above is the link to what you are describing. you can copy and paste it into your browser. it is on e bay, so if you can't go to that link, then simply do a search on e bay for "pente."

ronnie (aka badtaste)

jac_53

Posted: Jan 10, 2004, 8:52 AM

Hi Ronnie, Thank you very much for referring me to the e-Bay site featuring the limited edition Pente set. The seller is located in Oklahoma,which is my home state. He found the set in a very quaint second hand shop in a small Oklahoma town. It is mint in box,with the playing pieces still in the original bags I was in Tulsa for Christmas when I picked up your e-mail.I definitely didn't ever think I would see one of those sets---thanks to your tip, I'm now the owner. Have a great 2004!! Best regards, Jo Ann

badtaste

Posted: Jan 18, 2004, 4:10 AM

that is awesome that you ended up finding one of those, Im so glad I was able to help you find one.

ronnie (aka badtaste)

gixxer

Posted: Jan 22, 2004, 2:41 AM

Last year 2 wood board sold on ebay. I wish I would have bought one. I am looking for a tan tube if you can help me..

jtolive

Posted: Feb 15, 2004, 1:28 AM

Geez - I've just learned I have a rare board. Present from the Xwife back in the early 80's. If I remember right it was from a JA Brown store (Tulsa) with leather pouches & glass beads. Work of art - it's been hanging on my walls. Going to take better care of it now!

gemini16th

Posted: Jun 30, 2012, 3:17 AM

Check ebay from time to time- one was listed a few weeks ago(the wood board and also the glass board). The wood version had graphics in a somewhat pastel coloring(rose tones). I tend to like the large, classic folding board(terracotta/black colors)- may try to copy or replicate one onto a wood or plywood panel sometime. Also, since the ancient greeks loved marble in their art and architecture, may try crafting a "faux" marble version board(have a feeling it could really look beautiful!). Another board inspiration is The Franklin Mint's beautiful "Chess Set of The Gods" board(faux ivory & gold in an ornate rich wood frame.

Message was edited by: gemini16th at Jun 29, 2012 11:21 PM

gemini16th

Posted: Jun 30, 2012, 3:32 AM

Happy to read your post(would LOVE to see photos of the custom Pente boards you've done!). I've thought of crafting(when the craft bug strikes) a "faux" white marble board(since marble was the architectural material of choice for the ancient greeks). I'm visualizing white marble w/ gray toned "faux inlay" borders & lunettes(greek figures). And the gold grid lines you mentioned sound about right for it. It seems with a game using rich-colored glass stones, you wouldn't want to distract to much with a vivid-colored board. Another board inspiration is The Franklin Mint's beautiful "Chess Set of The Gods" board(faux ivory & gold in an ornate rich wood frame.

Message was edited by: gemini16th at Jun 29, 2012 11:25 PM

gemini16th

Re: Rare Pente board Currently On Ebay- Wood Edition
Posted: Jul 4, 2012, 4:14 AM

Just a note to collectors who want to own the rare, laminated birch wood Pente gameboard. It is currently at auction on ebay(as of 7/3/12). Current price is $75.00 + shipping. Following is the link at ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-1980-Pente-Wooden- Wood-Game-Board-Gary-Gabrel-Wow-/251084688217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a75d04b59

Good luck bidding!

artart

Posted: Jul 4, 2012, 11:09 PM

The board on Ebay is poor quality and has been on there a while.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jul 6, 2012, 11:35 AM

i hear what your saying artart.

let me be clear i have no affiliation with this guy. with that said, i have looked at the photos, and i must say i am intrigued.

i have never seen this particular wood board before. i assume it is authentic and real. while i do personally own a board that is still sealed in plastic (mint) from 1982, i normally expect these old boards to have something similar to the concept of patina.

on the face of this board it seems to be sealed in with something similar to fiber glass laminate. the edges are not frayed nor peeling up. the face is not bubbling with a release of facial seal from board. the laminate seems well intact in fact.

with that said, yes i see the smudges on the face of the board and assume that given the type of appearing laminate that these smudges can be removed with cleaning.

while removing patina is generally a no no in antiques,...
i would recommend to the seller to clean the smudges off to show they are removable. and then resubmit the photos.

if the smudges are removed i have no doubt in my mind that the asking price is just and reasonable.

yup i said it,

~zoeyk

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
Replies: 30   Views: 218,025   Pages: 3   [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Back to Topic List
Topics: [ Previous | Next ]