Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Elite Pente Masters 2010 Tourney -AKA- Bring your B game - 2010 Tourney
Replies: 77   Views: 254,562   Pages: 6   Last Post: Oct 1, 2010, 1:56 AM by: happyj0

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 77   Views: 254,562   Pages: 6   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
zoeyk

Home page
Elite Pente Masters 2010 Tourney -AKA- Bring your B game - 2010 Tourney
Posted: May 21, 2010, 12:36 AM

This tourney is currently scheduled to begin in july.
it is a invite only Tourney. check your brainking account messages to see if you have an invite. If you feel you should have been invited and was over looked feel free to contact me via private message at either brainking.com or pente.org.

current list of players signed up and their alt names;

russia
nosovs 2351

usa
Richard III 2323 -------aka---- richardiii

usa
Ne Plus Ultra 2267 -----aka---- karlw

usa
likewowman2cool 2213 ----aka---- happyjuggler0 ----- happyj0

usa
zoeyk 2184

france
Shredermann 2118

poland
dein 2163 ---------------aka---- blaxxx ----- ilp_dein

usa
homebrew 2061

poland
elejpidi 1984

usa
waterdancer 1983-----aka-----watsu

france
Globule 1969

usa
mmammel 1962

poland
aaru 1897

poland
Pentak 1879 ----aka----dobrychemik

poland
Chaosu 1865

hungary
Sirius unrated------------aka---- novatis

usa
rollietesh unrated

link to view tourney;
http://brainking.com/en/Tournaments?trg=37840&trnst=0&u=42042

good luck to all those involved!

zoeyk

Ps. if you have a Alt name not listed here and you are playing in this tourney please register your alts here.
everyone needs to know who each other is in order to have a even ability to study each other. no hidding allowed!
thanks!

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Jun 8, 2010 4:25 AM

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Jun 17, 2010 5:33 AM

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Jun 22, 2010 6:34 PM

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Jun 29, 2010 5:44 AM

Message was edited by: zoeyk at Jul 1, 2010 8:20 PM

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare

globule

Re: Elite Pente Masters 2010 Tourney
Posted: May 29, 2010, 9:31 AM

Hi Zoeyk!
about what criteria you base for your invitations? because there are much better players than Globule

I'm thinking of S3v3n, Brf, R3 , snut, jayhawklov , Shredermann... i won't list all players , i personnaly think that those players should play in your elite tourney!

Elixyr, globule's father.

happyj0

Posted: May 29, 2010, 6:33 PM

Elixyr,

I asked Zoey how many players he invited besides the 11 that were already signed up. His answer to me was, "lots. Lots more".

So just because you don't see someone signed up does not necessarily mean that they weren't invited.

On another note, I am worried about globule's entry. He is a brainpawn (as am I), and BK only allows brainpawns to only be in one tournament at a time. He is of course in Brf's tournament still (yes folks, nosovs can be beat!), which means that the software might not allow him to play in zoey's tournament.

Perhaps he should set up another BK account and play under that name instead to make sure he can actually play? One possible (uncreative) name would be "globule2".

Anyway, the software wouldn't even allow me to enter the tournament as happyjuggler0. I am not sure how it even allowed him to sign up, perhaps it won't be a problem after all, who knows?

All I can say about the tournament is that it will be incredibly tough; hopefully I won't embarrass myself! Same goes for round 2 of Brf's tourney....

P.S. Anyone who can beat nosovs in a set is perhaps stronger than his father thinks he is....

Message was edited by: happyj0 at May 29, 2010 12:33 PM

ownercase

Posted: May 30, 2010, 2:27 AM

I dont get it. Why not more invites? Scared?

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: May 30, 2010, 11:38 AM

i invited many, many players.
all the names u listed i invited, they didnt accept yet.
except sheaderman.. is he good?

am i scared? seriously? any how. no,.. im not scared to play any player,.. bring it

jay hawk doesnt have a home comp right now,.. but he said he wants to join if he can get a comp in time. playing from his jobs comp is a problem for him.
rich might sign up if rollie signs up.
rollie might sign up if,.. well not sure what the "if" is.
brf's settings dont allow him to be invited to others tourneys,.. so i couldnt even invite him...
S3v3n said he wants to join but isnt sure if he will be in poland at that time, so he is going to get back to me on that i guess.

i invited every strong player i could find on the list.
and realized not to many would make it, so i started inviting some players that are 1800 range skill level to fill the gaps.

in all ide guess i invited 60+ players to the tourney,.. most of them are retired now unfortunantly.

and, did i not invite Elixyr? is he good? im not aware of his skill level to be honest. but if he is a red i probably invited him when i went down the list im guessing.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jun 8, 2010, 10:32 AM

ok we just got 3 more strong players in the line up!

this is going to be a rough tourney for all players trying to make first place.

players now added;

Shredermann 2118

elejpidi 1984

Chaosu 1865

and i dont think we are done seeing sign ups yet by strong players...

chaosu

Home page
Posted: Jun 10, 2010, 11:05 PM

>>so i started inviting some players that are 1800 range skill level to fill the gaps.

thanks! : )

happyj0

Posted: Jun 17, 2010, 12:08 AM

Where's watsu?

I just checked the tourney list and the signed up players had gone from 15 to 14. It took me a minute to figure out who dropped out.

C'mon watsu, you're a tough player, you should play. You should open some eyes with your performance I should think, although my eyes were opened a long time ago....

rollietesh

Posted: Jun 17, 2010, 12:28 AM

My apologies, first of all, for taking so long to post a response about playing in Zoey's tournament. The main reason why is because I simply cannot decide what to say. I think about it almost every day, and a few times I started to post a decision and then changed my mind.

I cannot remember another situation where I was so torn. Of the reasons to play:

- This could be one of the strongest Pente tournaments yet played, what with the likes of nosovs, richardiii, karlw, zoeyk and several others. This is an invitation almost impossible to turn down.

- Also, if richardiii is waiting on me to decide first, then all the more pressure.

- Plus, Zoey has gone to a lot of effort to arrange this.

On the negative side:

- My time is no more valuable than anyone else's, but I happen to be at a period in my life when time is precious. In hindsight, I wish I had become active again 7 or 8 years ago while I was 'vacationing' in Europe. Back then I had lots of time.

- I'm not seeing the point in playing again unless I can bring my 'A' game. I have a 25-year gap that requires me to first refresh my memory, and then to spend the countless hours needed to find specific preparations. I would only want to play if I though I had a shot at winning. At this point, without focused preparation, and the time that requires, I will be lucky to finish in the top six.

- Also, two game per opponent is not enough to determine much. After two games with one opponent I would feel like we were just getting started. What I would prefer to do is play a 12-game match against the single best possible competition. That I am prepared to do at any time -- to focus on one slugfest with one opponent. Or, at the very least, play in a tournament with no more than the top 4 or 6 players. Anyone currently signed up could win this tournament. My issue is time, and wanting to focus on just a few top players.

- And even if I do decide to accept Zoey's gracious invitation, there is a good chance that I might get interrupted with a major design project and have to bow-out mid-way, which is not good for anyone.

All that said, how can I possibly turn down this opportunity? Thanks Zoey for posing me such a predicament

Zoey, I wonder if you could please explain in more detail exactly how the tournament is structured. My being technically unrated is another problem. How many players will I be playing at one time? Since you will be splitting the group into two camps, is there a second phase where the winners of each section have a play off? If so, is it only the top winner from both sides, or perhaps the top three from each side? Either way, I would be most interested in playing if I can be assured of being paired against all of the 4-6 of the highest-rated players.

I guess that I need to decide soon, especially since richardiii is waiting for a decision. I just don't know yet if this is physically possible, time-wise, for me at the moment.

Whether I can play in this tournament or not, I will always be up for a 12-game match with the single best competition, whomever that might be. Something like a "Old vs. New Championship."

Rollie

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 17, 2010, 3:37 AM

I realized earlier today that like Rollie I would want to bring my A game (such as it is, or might become) to a tournament like this, and I just don't think I have enough "free" time in the next few months to do that. I'd hate to find myself in a time crunch and forfeiting games, but would also hate to neglect all the other things I have going on in my life right now. It's a tough call, but I decided today it's probably the best decision I can make right now.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
nosovs

Home page
Posted: Jun 17, 2010, 12:10 PM

I am sure that no one player have not time for playing best strength.
I see that Rollie want to play Champions competition.
It is tournament just for fun, for those who want to play Pente, it will not decide that winner of this tournament will be champion. Just one more tournament .

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jun 18, 2010, 1:49 PM

zoey;
i agree with nosovs. and now comes my long winded reideration of it.

rollie;
This could be one of the strongest Pente tournaments yet played, what with the likes of nosovs, richardiii, karlw, zoeyk and several others

zoey;
nah, these players do several tourneys per year. this is just business as usual. its not as serious as it looks, its just another tourney for fun. brf has a tourney every year. and nosovs has a tourney every year. and there are others too. there is a team pente of poland vs the Serious Pente Players SPP Fellowship going right now.

we all play each other all the time. its just for fun.

the only tourney that i took very serious was the pente.org tourney (live play) for getting my crown.
although i did take a slight seriousness in nosovs super pente tourney back in,... i think 2009. and i took my losses more seriously than i should had in retrospect.

most players will be bringing their B game to this tourney. just plopping stones down for fun.

the only player that i forsee playing it very serious will be novatis. since i know how he is operating lately.
he is some what fresh blood and enjoys doing very deep studies of openings.

and maybe karlw. he does not study much now, but the little he has done has been brilliant stuff, so we'll see.

nosovs just naturally brings a A game, even when hes not trying, he just cant help it lol.

rollie;
I'm not seeing the point in playing again unless I can bring my 'A' game.

zoey;
well the point of pente is to have fun. so maybe leave the A game at home,... perhaps bring your B game, and have some fun with us. many of us will only spend between 5 minutes to 30 minutes once every 2 days looking and making moves.
first,.. you get saturday and sunday off,.. clock stops on your weekends,.. it only ticks monday through friday. second, you get 10 vacation days per year to use.
third,.. you can buy member ship and bump it up to 35 vacation days that turn on auto matically for you if you forget to move,..for like a month lol. i bought the 35 vacation day package, and its well worth it. plus if you do that then you don't have a limit set on how many games you can play there at the same time.
also keep in mind, a lot of the time the other players wont move right away,. so that adds even more time that you don't need to move, and can come back to think at your leasure. plus if you open up with the wedge,.. that gives you a month to do no brainer moves.. which was my time saver tactic in brfs tourney that i am currently playing in right now.

rollie;
there is a good chance that I might get interrupted with a major design project and have to bow-out mid-way

zoey;
well, if a player times out in all games, it wont affect the others, but if you won some games, and then timed out on your P1 games that you had a chance in, then i can see how that would alter the section as a whole, possibly.
but who cares,.. we are not really there for getting first(well, most), we just enjoy playing.

but, since its all for fun, its better to try and maybe time out, then to not try at all, in my opinion. i have a very strong feeling you wont time out tho. you allways have a 10 minute break per day even when busy to clear your head yes?
and what better way then checking in on your tourney games for fun maybe?

rollie;
Zoey, I wonder if you could please explain in more detail exactly how the tournament is structured.

zoey;
i had sent you a answer to that in a private message before i think, but perhaps my answer wasnt good. this is my first tourney ive hosted, so im not to sure of it.
perhaps BRF could chime in to explain how my tourney is formatted. i know he can do a better job than me.

the section will be evenly split. with no more than 10 players per section. if there are ties in a section then they go to round 2 ext.. and the final 2 players play a 3 game match for first place. if the round before that had 3 or more players ending in even draws where it was just going no where, then i would end the tourney (depending on a vote) and call it a draw.

so right now we got 14 players,.. if you and rich sign, then its 16 players.
so this would be 8 players per section.
this means you would have 16 games going.
8 whites, and 8 blacks.

as far as who you will face in your section i have no idea. but,.. either brf or karlw know the formulas for it to accurately predict the seeding. maybe they can take the time to calculate it. but hey, just roll the dice on that with the rest of us, it makes it exciting to not know.

rollie;
My being technically unrated is another problem

zoey;
why is that a problem?

rollie;
I would be most interested in playing if I can be assured of being paired against all of the 4-6 of the highest-rated players.

zoey;
ok, you will face some of the best. and all players signing up are pretty smart players. and any of the top player you didn't get to face, you can face by inviting them to a personal match on your own when ever you like.

rollie;
Also, two game per opponent is not enough to determine much. After two games with one opponent I would feel like we were just getting started.

zoey;
well,.. thats why we have a data base, and also you can view players finished games at brainking. this way you have a idea of their routes, styles, randomness vs predictability, and so on...
or... instead of studying an opponent, you can just study a good opening that you can pull on most any players.

or you can challenge some of these guys to a personal match this month to get a feel for them and prepare if you like,.. which brings me to my next announcement.

I Have moved the Tourney to August 1st. to give people time to do what ever it is they need to do to get ready.

and,.. this may be my last tourney. not sure. but my pente candle is burning short possibly. i might take a break for a while in 2011. possibly longer.

regards,
zoey

karlw

Posted: Jun 22, 2010, 10:10 AM

Rollie,

I think I speak for everyone when I say that it would be an honor to play against you in a pente tournament regardless of the level of play you are able to compete at after a long hiatus. I will try to fill in the blanks of zoey's response to answer your questions as best as I can:

-You are right about two games per opponent not determining much; it determines almost nothing whatsoever. However, under the circumstances of turn-based play, extending rounds past a single set would drag the tournament out far longer than anyone wants.

-As for who you will be playing when, let's assume the tournament begins with 16 players. They will be assigned sections based on their BK ratings like so:

Section 1: #'s 1,4,5,8,9,12,13,16
Section 2: #'s 2,3,6,7,10,11,14,15

Unrated players are automatically assigned the lowest seeds, but since there are only two sections that doesn't matter very much at all (if you like, I would be glad to play as many warm-up sets as you want between now and August 1st to help you work off the rust and obtain an accurate rating). As you can see, as a bottom seed you will match up against exactly 3 of the top 6 players in Round 1, and if you win, then you will face the best player(s) of the other section in Round 2.

I sincerely hope you decide to join us for this tournament. No matter what happens, I know you will only make it more fun for all of us and hopefully have some fun yourself facing up against today's top pente players.

watsu

Home page
Posted: Jun 22, 2010, 5:55 PM

Ok, after discussion and with some extra time before starting this, I'm back in.

Retired from TB Pente, but still playing live games & exploring variants like D, poof and boat
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Jun 24, 2010, 12:44 AM

also, i have now renamed the tourney to;

"Bring your B game"

hehe

z

Replies: 77   Views: 254,562   Pages: 6   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Back to Topic List