Home » Forum Home » General

Topic: Match #2 Zoeyk~vs~Karlw (match winner=zoeyk)
Replies: 19   Views: 100,324   Pages: 2   Last Post: Apr 29, 2009, 9:37 AM by: zoeyk

Search Forum

Back to Topic List
Replies: 19   Views: 100,324   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
up2ng

Re: (Rematch) Match #2 Zoeyk ~vs~ Karlw
Posted: Sep 30, 2008, 12:43 AM

Hey, this is a great feature to be able to analyze and discuss games played by some of the great players!

Some quick comments about the game labelled "Mersenne's Variation":

First, I really like the play style of black in this game. Very nice opening. Aggressive, good use of the pair in sacrificing an early capture to gain a more favorable line. I use this style often and I think that knowing how to do this properly is one of the skills that seperates experts from intermediate level players. Also, black's knowledge of shapes and keystone attacks to will her way into a "Hammer" position is important to note in this game. By the mid-game, it seems likely that white's opening 3rd move may not have been the strongest.

However, white could have still won this game by playing:
8. G8!

Review this variation and you will see that black ends up running out of threats and white "regains" the initiative.

The Hammer is a basic, yet complex position that should be studied in detail if one is to advance their skill in this game. There were some articles about the Hammer that were put out in the 80s and their analysis of this important position is very solid. While it is true in general that the one to control the handle of the Hammer has the upper hand, there are some specific exceptions to this rule -- as indicated in this very game. The exceptions have to do with precisely where the extra stones are located with respect to the Hammer shape, and sometimes white has just enough help to turn a losing position into a winning, albeit complex line.

richardiii

Posted: Oct 1, 2008, 9:25 PM

In reference to Dean’s comments on the hammer, which is displayed by white’s 7th move; though this core group forms the hammer shape it is not the hammer, because of the presence of white’s two extra stones at E11 & G12. Those two stones alter the entire complexity of the game veering completely away from the stratagems of the classic ‘Hammer’

As to needing to understand The Hammer in order to develop skill in game strategy, I couldn’t agree more. I would like to see everyone here at any rating come up with a winning tactic with the hammer’s head in the classic arrangement. I actually don’t believe very many developed players understand the hammer very well. I know I have made mistakes with it. But I have seen it played out to an exquisite ending (not in the DB) making the handle sweat it out all the way. The Hammer is a great learning exercise for players serious about their game.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 3, 2008, 1:21 AM

just a reminder,.. the match is tonight at 7pm,... see you guys n girls there.

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 3, 2008, 7:10 AM

Set 4 is done,..Tied,.. 15 moves each side exactly, in both games,...and we both won with our Blacks!,..interesting twist.

but ide say karl bested me with his blacks 4th of blocking instead of cap trade which he knew i was used to him doing,...his defending cap move was strong move in my opinion,..perhaps with more time a win will become apparent,.. but it got me good. and perhaps N8 was just a better move to do for whites 3rd in the end.

and my black winning was luck that he developed the wrong side mid way, he said.
and after a unrated private game replaying it and canceling it, i agree that he was right.

fun stuff

Scire hostis animum - Intelligere ludum - Nosce te ipsum - Prima moventur conciliat - Nolite errare
zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 17, 2008, 10:13 AM

5th set done, tied again, very close,....
Zoeyk

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 24, 2008, 4:53 AM

MATCH ALERT!!! 6TH SET STARTS RIGHT NOW!!, COME IN AN SEE

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Oct 24, 2008, 9:05 AM

ok so we did a 6th set and a 7th set tonight.
the Match has finally come to completion.
Karl did not want to play the 7th set because he had plans,
but was a good sport to play it through a second set.
i did put a bit of pressure for him to do a second set tonight. which he didn't
have a line prepared for once his first set's black failed. I dunno, any how I
took the 7th set.

Match #1 total of one set = zoeyk winner

Match #2 total of seven sets = zoeyk winner

very good games karlw and i wish you well in our trials towards the #2 US player tittle.

see you on the board.

~Zoeyk

karlw

Posted: Apr 28, 2009, 5:07 AM

Match #3

karlw wins in 1 set

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 28, 2009, 6:18 PM

karl,..this was not declared ahead of time as a official match.
if it was i would had posted a notice ahead of time in the forums.
and i would had posted the results in a separate thread called match #3.

but if it makes you feel good then fine, you win match 3

zoeyk wins 2
karlw wins 1

karlw

Posted: Apr 28, 2009, 7:16 PM

zoey,

sometimes you take things too seriously. I don't want to sound preachy, but try to relax and just let things go sometimes. I've learned that the hard way. Not everything has to be officially sanctioned and accredited and stamped and signed in triplicate and subjected to peer review twice.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 28, 2009, 8:07 PM

my bus to work is in 7 minutes,..but when i get back i will have something to say.

zoeyk

Home page
Posted: Apr 29, 2009, 9:37 AM

i disagree

Replies: 19   Views: 100,324   Pages: 2   [ 1 2 | Next ]
Back to Topic List